JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have decided that I'm going to build an AR-15. Seems like it is going to be more fun than just buying one (plus I can stretch out my budget rather than saving up). I'm going to pick up a lower this weekend. I have searching online for lower parts kits. It seems like the prices vary anywhere between about $40 and $100 (sometimes from the same company on the same website) without any explanation of what makes one better than the other.

So, what do all you here recommend? What should I look for? What should I look out for?

I run spikes lower parts kit without FCG. And with a geissele automatics SSA-E trigger.

Almost exactly what I did/am doing..

I believe mine is a JP lower parts kit without FCG, and am also going to run a Geissele SSA-E trigger. Great way to do it if you plan on running a different trigger than the stock trigger.

My first LPK was a Palmetto State Armory kit. My second was a Spikes. I use to be under the assumption that LPK's were basically the same. In my case, that is not true. The PSA kit was better than the Spikes. The Spikes had a creepy pull to it (not sure how to explain it). Put the PSA on my duty AR and the Spikes in my other one.

Ended up replacing the PSA with a Geissele SSA and the Spikes was replaced with a QMS.

Tac-con!
Just kidding, I dont have that kinda money. I use run of the mill lower end LPKs..
Unless you're paying big bucks for the crisper smoother FCG's nearly all GI standard LPKs are the same. I too fell for the gimmick and purchased an LPK for 100 and one for 45.. Both were the same.. One just had a brand name behind it.

What are you going to use your rifle for? If it's just a range toy I would recommend this PSA Kit only because I had good luck with it. They have other color pistol grips that are make the kit cheaper. I didn't like the standard grip so I switched them out to the MOE grips.

Go to Curt's on McLoughlin Blvd. They had everything I wanted for my very picky build except for barrels (building 2) I custom ordered from the manufacturer. GREAT prices that compare very well to Internet discounters and you get it same day. My lower parts, all from Curt's:
  • Aero Precision Lower (I like forged)
  • ALG ACS trigger (they have many others)
  • Magpul Advanced trigger guard
  • Magpul BAD lever
  • Spikes ST-2 buffer
  • Mil-spec buffer tube & spring
  • KNS anti-roll pins
  • parts kit to complete with mil-spec parts
Parts are still being cerakoted, so I haven't picked up the furniture yet.

The parts kit was pulled from the bins they use to do their own builds, and to me looks to be of very high quaity.

I have used PSA, PSA P-Tac ( before I knew what it was ), Spikes, Stag. All have worked fine. BUT They were not all the same. They were all different. Triggers were slightly different, and a few other things. But the over all function doesn't change.

yes you can do a cheap trigger job by replacing the stock springs with yellow JP springs, and using a small set screw above the hand guard screw to adjust the creep out of the trigger. Even with those done it is still a junk single stage trigger.

Rather have a two stage trigger where I absolutely know without a doubt: what point that trigger is going to release the hammer and fire that weapon.

Go to Curt's on McLoughlin Blvd. They had everything I wanted for my very picky build except for barrels (building 2) I custom ordered from the manufacturer. GREAT prices that compare very well to Internet discounters and you get it same day. My lower parts, all from Curt's:
  • Aero Precision Lower (I like forged)
  • ALG ACS trigger (they have many others)
  • Magpul Advanced trigger guard
  • Magpul BAD lever
  • Spikes ST-2 buffer
  • Mil-spec buffer tube & spring
  • KNS anti-roll pins
  • parts kit to complete with mil-spec parts
Parts are still being cerakoted, so I haven't picked up the furniture yet.

The parts kit was pulled from the bins they use to do their own builds, and to me looks to be of very high quaity.
x2 on Curts for anything Black rifle related good guys , very helpful. Please post some pics when your build gets done.

Here is a preview - Color is foliage green with FDE furniture to break it up. I'll do a writeup in a separate thread when it's complete.:
upload_2014-7-20_14-0-4.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads