JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to build an AR. I know that constructing the upper is pretty intensive and requires special tools. How complicated and expensive would it be to build a lower vs buying a complete? I'm looking to build a "combat" AR, so I don't need a 2 stage trigger, but I want my build to be solid. What are your thoughts?

Assembling a lower is pretty simple, should take you 30 minutes max. All you really need is a set of punches, a hammer, and stock wrench.
This is the guide I used to assemble my lower.
<broken link removed>

When choosing a lower you have a lot of options to consider. First do you want a forged or billet. Most go with a forged 7075. The billet lowers may have additional options not found on forged units, such as integral trigger guards, different bolt catch. Do you want to lower to be ambi friendly? Do you want the 45* selector? How much of a mag well bevel do you want?

The best part of assembling your own lower is you are not limited to the standard mil-spec lower.

I picked up a Surplus Ammo & Arms stripped lower for $55 from gunbroker.com, with background check and transfer fee it was $75. I didn't even have a punch set... but make sure to tape everything up so you don't scratch it if you slip with the hammer. With a lunch break, it took me 45 mins. I used a CMMG lower parts kit. If you go on Aimsurplus.com you can find spike lowers for like $70 or so, a Bushmaster lower built kit for $50 (if they still have them in stock) and a buffer tube kit. I personally upgraded my buffer to a spikes tactical ST-T1 I believe and it shoots better and smoother. The upper was a palmetto state armory (fully assembled with bolt, bolt carrier, charging handle)..... pretty pleased with PSA's upper... they also sell stripped lowers. You can also go with a polymer lower fully built and they are a little cheaper.... new frontier armory has them.

The hardest part of building a lower are the pins that go to the bolt catch/release (ping pong paddle) and the trigger guard (straight piece that goes under the trigger)..... there are a few vids on youtube that show you how to build a lower and I fallowed them.... pretty easy. Just take your time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top