JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can anyone lead me to a dependable source for the laws on what makes and AR a short barrel rifle, pistol, or full size rifle? Thanks
The simplest method these days is to treat them like this. If it has ext tube only, it's a pistol. If it has a brace, stock, etc, the feds may consider it a rifle or short barreled rifle if barrel is under 16 inches in length. Pistol config assumes no forward grip.

Pistols have no min or max barrel length requirements that I am aware of.

It's a lot more complicated than this but to be a rifle it has to have a stock of some sort.

My question is AR specific. If you don't have a reliable source then don't be a Karen and make a smart a$$ comment. Thanks. I know what the "rules" are. I'm just looking for official documents from ATF

My question is AR specific. If you don't have a reliable source then don't be a Karen and make a smart a$$ comment. Thanks. I know what the "rules" are. I'm just looking for official documents from ATF
There are some links here that will help shed light on changes coming up with new brace rules.

@XDMAustin First of all welcome aboard, but unfortunately your first thread has not gone so well. You really cannot blame @monkeybutler for his response to your working for an FFL dealer, especially since your OP is a pretty general question about AR's. I'll leave your shorts out of it.

@arakboss has posted a link to the new ATF rule governing pistols and braces. There are also new rules defining "receivers". Everything else you need to know is here https://www.atf.gov/firearms, but to generally answer your question it's a lot about barrel length and overall length.

I am reviving this thread since incoming braced pistol rules are going to raise issues about what is a rifle (SBR) and what is a pistol. I have seen numerous posts indicating that the style, length, etc of the buffer tube on an AR pistol might change the classification of a firearm from pistol to rifle. I have yet to find anything provided in the legal definitions that would prove this to be true. If you have links to legal classification rules that indicate otherwise, please post them here.

The simplest legal definition of a rifle can be found here:

"The term "Rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger."

The simplest legal definition of a pistol can be found here:

"The term "Pistol" means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

• a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);
  • and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s)."

I did't go read it all, but the links provided above are marked "outdated" (2018) by the atf.gov. The new upated (as of 06/17/2022) link for 478.11 is here:

Definitions have been updated and expanded to include more than just the 2 basic "rife" and "pistol" definitions of days gone by. ;)

I did't go read it all, but the links provided above are marked "outdated" (2018) by the atf.gov. The new upated (as of 06/17/2022) link for 478.11 is here:

Definitions have been updated and expanded to include more than just the 2 basic "rife" and "pistol" definitions of days gone by. ;)
Thanks, it looks to me like rifle and pistol defintions haven't changed.

Rifle. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

Pistol. A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having

(a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and

(b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Could be. I don't own any so haven't kept up on related changes or possible new rules coming out... and where it says what... I just know they are coming after them and attempting to redefine what is and what isn't an SBR.

It may just be all packaged up in the new point system proposal and not specifically a statue defenition change (??) I'm not even sure which subsection the SBR definition is located in.

Rifle. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

Pistol. A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having

(a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and

(b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).
A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand...

I don't recall any uproar about this being added to the Federal Register. This is not good and could easily allow them to drop any new SBR definitions and still achieve their goals.

9505461C-0864-4596-97CA-6DFF70D38A37.jpeg

A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand...

I don't recall any uproar about this being added to the Federal Register. This is not good and could easily allow them to drop any new SBR definitions and still achieve their goals.
This definition has long been on the books, it hasn't changed recently that I am aware of.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top