JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If a registered. pistol lower is used to make a rifle (16 " barrel with stock ). If it were ever tranfered . Does it transfer as a pistol or rifle
Define registered. If it were originally transferred as a pistol on a 4473 after being built by a licensed manufacturer and excise tax paid as a pistol then its always a pistol. Make it into a rifle if you please but it can go back to a pistol. Doesnt matter what it transfers as after that. You could buy it 5 transfers later as a rifle on a 4473. Its still a pistol.

Adding to the convolutions what if it was demilled and delisted as a firearm, then rebuilt by an individual would it be legal under the 15% end user build requirement. Is that a trabant ?

Define registered. If it were originally transferred as a pistol on a 4473 after being built by a licensed manufacturer and excise tax paid as a pistol then its always a pistol. Make it into a rifle if you please but it can go back to a pistol. Doesnt matter what it transfers as after that. You could buy it 5 transfers later as a rifle on a 4473. Its still a pistol.

My question to this would be ( unless you were original buyer or FFL How would you know what it was from the start ) in the state of Washington you can build a receiver (AR-15) into either a pistol or a rifle your choice (unless it is stamped pistol or rifle on the receiver )
And you keep records of all the receivers serial #'s Transfered over the course of your entire time in business how would you know what it was from the git go

My question to this would be ( unless you were original buyer or FFL How would you know what is was from the start ) in the state of Washington you can build a receiver (AR-15) into either a pistol or a rifle your choice (unless it is stamped pistol or rifle on the receiver )
And you keep records of all the receivers serial #'s Transfered over the course of your entire time in business how would you know what it was from the git go
Even if its stamped rifle if it wasnt actually built originally as a rifle its not a rifle. Lots of surplus receivers that were never built out there. You MAY be able to contact the ATF and get an answer back on what it what it was sold as initially if excise tax was paid on it. Or maybe not.

And yes, you do keep records and when you give up the FFL you send them in to the ATF.

The BATFE is not going to have and answer for that It's clear to me You have never contacted them about a question like this .
They won't have the answer to it

I have actually seen it happen. Had a guy contact the ATF for excise tax status once. As a dealer I wouldnt have ( why would I ? ) but I was transferring a pre ban Colt and the buyer wanted to know if it had been built as a factory Colt rifle or from a parts set.

Last Edited:
Wasn't there a guy in california doing something similar selling to convicts and felons buy making 80% lowers and selling them as kits and not a "firearm"
He was selling parts kits for 2-3X the going price and doing build parties where the felons ( and others ) would machine the lowers on his equipment.

Also in California the 80% option is so heavily regulated that it is essentially banned. You have to apply for a serial number from the state in advance, then once you get the serial number you have a deadline to finish the build and send photographs to the state, etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top