JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I have found the problem on my step dads Ruger AR 556 and want your opinions.

The problem: he has a Ruger AR 556 and it works just fine with most ammo. He bought some crappy cheap reloads from a nephews friend that won't cycle through his gun, but factory ammo will. (I have yet to shoot multiple brands of ammo to see if it's more ammo and I will start there before buying any parts) I replaced his entire bolt carrier group with mine, mine is a full auto profile his was a semi auto, so mine wouldn't chamber a new round because I think it was too heavy with the combination of his gas system and the recoil spring? But his would chamber a round but wouldn't fire it. So then I used his bolt carrier group with my bolt and it worked. He wants his gun to be as reliable as possible, so I don't want him to buy a new BCG if mine wouldn't even load a round.

I think the easiest fix would be a new higher quality bolt?

My testing process when I go to fix it eventually will be shoot multiple brands of ammo. I.e. American eagle, Hornady frontier, wolf, Tula, etc. to make sure that his gun cycles all ammo and it's not just a fluke that the factory ammo works but the reloads do not.

Then try my buffer with his spring and my entire BCG to see if his buffer weight won't cycle a full auto carrier. And then his buffer and my spring. And then my buffer and spring all with my BCG in his gun, my gun runs his reloads just fine.

And I have already tried my bolt in his BCG. Is there anything I am missing, am I over thinking this? Should he just get a new bolt or should I play with the whole system and get him to be able to use a full auto bolt carrier group?

:s0137:.

Don't shoot crap reloads through the gun!

:s0037:

I wouldn't even want my gun to cycle Tula steel case. I want the minimum load my gun will cycle to be wolf gold 55 grain ( which is loaded close to milspec)

Defensive ammo is usually loaded pretty warm and that is what counts.

If you insist on getting crap ammo to run, try a tubbs flatwire spring.

There is no logic here.
You don't chase around trying to get a rifle to shoot a " nephew's friend's reloads".
Or cheap, steel cased Putin ammo.

Stock up on good, full power ammo.
NW Armory has XM193 for $6.00 a box.

Reliability starts with good ammo.

ETA:
You can modify an AR to shoot junk, low power ammo.
RP recoil spring, enlarged gas port, etc.
But then how long will it hold up when you run full power ammo through it ?

Last Edited:
when I build mine its made to run tula/wolf steel dry.

might want to stick with what his runs with. if you want to waste money just build one

palmetto has kits cheap

There is no logic here.
You don't chase around trying to get a rifle to shoot a " nephew's friend's reloads".
Or cheap, steel cased Putin ammo.

Stock up on good, full power ammo.
NW Armory has XM193 for $6.00 a box.

Reliability starts with good ammo.

ETA:
You can modify an AR to shoot junk, low power ammo.
RP recoil spring, enlarged gas port, etc.
But then how long will it hold up when you run full power ammo through it ?

^^^ This.... Eggsalient logick hear!!! :D

Shoots crap ammo....McLoves it. :cool:
IMG_20190428_111152.png

Last Edited:
It's not even he wants to shoot the crappy reloads, he just wants to know that his gun will cycle whatever ammo he feeds it.
Does 'he' not understand the fact improperly sized casings will not work no matter how much he wishes? I've been down this road myself and it is often problematic. I ran into it with .308 loads in my M1A also. A bolt gun is a bit more forgiving since it can be pressed into the chamber...not saying this is good, but it has happened to me.

Does 'he' not understand the fact improperly sized casings will not work no matter how much he wishes? I've been down this road myself and it is often problematic. I ran into it with .308 loads in my M1A also. A bolt gun is a bit more forgiving since it can be pressed into the chamber...not saying this is good, but it has happened to me.
I don't know if they were improperly sized though because I can shoot them in my gun without any hiccups whatsoever!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top