JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Removed as in you tried and the gas block screws stripped or in removed as just removed? What kind of gas block? If the flash hider is threaded it just needs a wrench and some muscle. If it's pinned/welded you are going to want to have that done by a pro. YMMV.

I go through Oak Grove Guns and use their gunsmith Keith. He is a little slow because he has so many orders, but gunsmithing is what he does and quality is top notch.

If you are looking for a good gunsmith, I would also recommend Keith. It will however take a while, typically a week or so turnaround from my experience.
I had him remove flash, front post and gas block. He replaced with a lo pro, free float handguard and reinstalled the flash. Turned out real nice and labor was $50

If you are looking for a good gunsmith, I would also recommend Keith. It will however take a while, typically a week or so turnaround from my experience.
I had him remove flash, front post and gas block. He replaced with a lo pro, free float handguard and reinstalled the flash. Turned out real nice and labor was $50

And he is REALLY good with AKs too!

That's pretty much exactly what I want done.

What did brand/model you use for the free float hand guard, and did you need to order any extra pieces, like a compatible barrel nut?

Removed as in you tried and the gas block screws stripped or in removed as just removed? What kind of gas block? If the flash hider is threaded it just needs a wrench and some muscle. If it's pinned/welded you are going to want to have that done by a pro. YMMV.
I haven't really looked at the flash hider that close yet, but I already have a low profile gas block and some optics I want to install, so the military style front post/gas block needs to go. I figured if I have to pay somebody to remove and reinstall the flash hider I might as well pay them to do the gas block and free floating hand guard too.

I haven't really looked at the flash hider that close yet, but I already have a low profile gas block and some optics I want to install, so the military style front post/gas block needs to go. I figured if I have to pay somebody to remove and reinstall the flash hider I might as well pay them to do the gas block and free floating hand guard too.

Gotcha. The front sight gas block isn't too hard at all, but if you don't have some small drift punches your out of luck. Free floating hand guards can require a barrel nut change so I get wanting someone with experience and tools to do the gig.

Gotcha. The front sight gas block isn't too hard at all, but if you don't have some small drift punches your out of luck. Free floating hand guards can require a barrel nut change so I get wanting someone with experience and tools to do the gig.
I do have all the required tools, like punches and armorer's wrenches and receiver block. I installed a FA stainless bull barrel on my Bushmaster Varminter myself, but if I'm going to have to remove a pinned/welded flash hider from this Palmetto State Armory AR upper I'd just as soon have a pro do the whole thing. The biggest attraction for me in a DIY situation is not having to comply with someone else's schedule. It drives me nuts.:eek:

I do have all the required tools, like punches and armorer's wrenches and receiver block. I installed a FA stainless bull barrel on my Bushmaster Varminter myself, but if I'm going to have to remove a pinned/welded flash hider from this Palmetto State Armory AR upper I'd just as soon have a pro do the whole thing. The biggest attraction for me in a DIY situation is not having to comply with someone else's schedule. It drives me nuts.:eek:

I thought it was a 16" barrel, why would it be pinned? It shouldn't be.

If you think you need a gun smith for this then you should use one,but it's not too hard to do with the proper tools
I'm with uscsoldier I'd give you a hand if I was a couple hundred miles closer:D

I thought it was a 16" barrel, why would it be pinned? It shouldn't be.
It is a 16" barrel. It resides in the safe elsewhere on the property and I've been too lazy to go drag it out and examine it. It just dawned on me that the gas block won't fit over the flash hider as I was ordering the new low profile one yesterday, so I thought I'd inquire about AR smiths in my area, just in case.

It is a 16" barrel. It resides in the safe elsewhere on the property and I've been too lazy to go drag it out and examine it. It just dawned on me that the gas block won't fit over the flash hider as I was ordering the new low profile one yesterday, so I thought I'd inquire about AR smiths in my area, just in case.
It's probably not welded then.

Pinned/welded breaks kinda died off after the 1994 AWB expired. No longer were threaded barrels such an evil thing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top