JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This ^^^
You found out why you don't go Hog Wild with grease on an AR.
"1" = one drop
"L" = light coat oil
"G" = grease
View attachment 1049096

Edit:
Some will say "Just hose it with CLP"
And you could do that because CLP is a very light oil.
Thank you for posting this, i was about to post it myself.

It's all very well suggesting product names, but we're talking about oil Vs. grease here - multiple product names suggested have both of those options (oil and grease) and it's fairly important (in my opinion) to know what you're applying to your firearm.

I use CLP but I did get a small bottle EWL-2000 when I ordered something a few years ago. I used EWL on my AR and works very well. When I run out of CLP and EWL-2000 I will use synthetic Amsoil instead.

I actually have a bottle of sperm whale oil in my cleaning kit.;) It is very old and only in there to say I still have it. My AR's get lots of rounds and used in very cold to very hot conditions. My go to is a synthetic motor oil that one of my cars uses. I apply it with a Q-tip all over the carrier. It works for my situation......but, that same oil used on my revolvers will get very stiff if I let the gun get cold like leaving it in the trunk in cold weather. So, the handguns get CLP and anything I bet my life on will get the same and not the motor oil.
Synthetic sperm whale oil

Formula proven since the 1800's

Synthetic sperm whale oil

Formula proven since the 1800's
Greenpeace will hunt you down and pelt you with eggs.

:D

This reminds me of a book I read long ago. Worth the read, BTW.

"In the WW2-era book See Here, Private Hargrove, the author tells about his experience with M1903 rifles preserved in cosmoline.
I can only paraphrase, since the actual passage is quite long.

I started by wiping the cosmoline off of the rifle with the rags I'd been given, but the stuff is sticky and it gets all over everything.
After a while, I was also using the rags to wipe cosmoline off of my fatigue uniform.
Then, I was reduced to using my uniform to wipe cosmoline off of the rags.
Finally, I was using the rifle to wipe cosmoline off of me."

Cheers

I'll be the outlier and admit I like to use a light coating of general automotive grease on the wear points. If you can leave a fingerprint, you used too much. HOWEVER, I use it because I like a rust preventative that doesn't run in the safe as I got tired of one end of my rifles being lubed well and the other bone dry if they sat too long. Midway through a range day, CLP is the go-to. Haven't yet had an issue with a light grease layer.

. If the carrier is dry, you will end up with a slow moving carrier and FTFs.
Yes, and oiling the slot that the charging handle slides in makes working that part surprisingly easier. Like oiling the rails on a 1911, which some people never do.

This ^^^
You found out why you don't go Hog Wild with grease on an AR.
"1" = one drop
"L" = light coat oil
"G" = grease
883886-e9855f03feba8d4108d5227fe9ac95d3.png
It's interesting that the picture above doesn't show any lube on the BCG. Which slides back and forth within the upper and surely induces some amount of wear with use. Maybe that's in another picture.

I still use the military LSA, it seems to lube well yet isn't runny, never congeals. I give the bolt and carrier plenty of LSA. In my experience, it makes the bolt parts easier to clean. Plus the basic lube function, of course. Were I to live in a dry, dusty environment, I might rethink this.

I prefer to use Ballistol, it is very thin and seems to leave a dry film that still acts as a lubricant once it is no longer "wet."
The up side to ballistol is it works.
It smells like warm stale a$$, it's not the best deep clean, or the finest be all end all lube and cleaner, but it works and never heard a horror story about using it.

The up side to ballistol is it works.
It smells like warm stale a$$, it's not the best deep clean, or the finest be all end all lube and cleaner, but it works and never heard a horror story about using it.
So right about the stench….lol

"In the WW2-era book See Here, Private Hargrove, the author tells about his experience with M1903 rifles preserved in cosmoline.

I started by wiping the cosmoline off of the rifle with the rags I'd been given, but the stuff is sticky and it gets all over everything.
After a while, I was also using the rags to wipe cosmoline off of my fatigue uniform.

Cheers
Brings to mind the famous Hootus thread.

Hootus

Cheers
Not gonna lie, but I find the smell of a rifle slathered in cosmoline quite intoxicating

Sense we are talking smells now. This right here smells like mint. I haven't tried tasting it yet but I've came close. Maybe I'll dip a crayon in the near future.

BC979375-8197-4451-A68E-0B2E5940D483.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top