JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there a difference in brands? I was at a gun shop the other day and I asked if there was a difference in brand because they ranged from $170-$280. I was told there wasn't any difference in them they were all made out of the same material and all weighed about the same.
To me it's kinda hard to believe that people would pay an extra $100 for something when it's literally the exact same thing. So my question is if I buy a non name brand free float from amazon for $50 will it be the same as one for that I find for $200?

There is a big difference. A $50 tube and a $200 tube are night and day difference.
However, you won't notice much of a difference in a $170-$300 tube/rail.

A good handguard will be at least $140.
The barrel nut and mounting that comes with that price difference will be a huge difference in quality as well.

Of course the military uses the basic AR handguard and have no issues.

Get one of the ALG rails. Rock solid mount, solid feel, and a great value. My favorite is the V2 rail, comes in m-lok and keymod versions

Algdefense.com

I've only had experience with the BCM KMR Alpha. Installation was more difficult than I was expecting. It was an extremely tight fit even when using oil and and a heat gun, but otherwise it feels solid and looks sharp. I've only used BCM Keymod parts so far, but they all fit and work well.

Get one of the ALG rails. Rock solid mount, solid feel, and a great value. My favorite is the V2 rail, comes in m-lok and keymod versions

Algdefense.com
+1
ALG rails are a great bang for the buck.
My favorite is also the V2.
Rock solid, great feel/ergonomics and a great company all around.

There is a wide range of quality, machining, installation differences, weight and feel from one rail to the next. They are definitely not all the same.
Also, the $50 rail is nearly guaranteed to be made in China. The rails in the $150 and up category are made in the USA more often than not.

Definitely should look at the ALG EMR series.

The first KeyMod handguard I bought was only $99 and I thought I had a great deal. Soon found out that it wasn't machined properly on the inside. Luckily the local shop gave me a refund with no questions asked. They were actually embarrassed that they had sold it. Ended up buying an AERO M4E1 upper and handguard combo. Granite Ridge Outfitters had a pretty good deal on the both of them. Fit and finish is perfect.

Lesson is that there is a reason that some items are cheaper. Not that cost alone is the deciding factor, just that you need to inspect something closely to make sure it will perform as expected.

At some point you have spent more for a name than material.

You must decide.

I've had good luck with sub $100 FFHG's. function > sticker in the back window of your pickup.

At some point you have spent more for a name than material.

You must decide.

I've had good luck with sub $100 FFHG's. function > sticker in the back window of your pickup.
That's what experience does for you. Some people can pick something up, look at it, feel it, and tell if it's high enough quality to do the job. Some of us smash our fingers over and over again and HOPE we gain some intelligence from the experience. :D

That's what experience does for you. Some people can pick something up, look at it, feel it, and tell if it's high enough quality to do the job. Some of us smash our fingers over and over again and HOPE we gain some intelligence from the experience. :D

Then get a bigger hammer so next time you smash it, it will be pinched off and you won't smash it anymore.

I'm partial to the Samson evolution handguards, but for my AR10 Aero build I want the Aero handguard. Just don't want to drop another $210 right now

I used Samson extended evolutions on my Adams piston builds. They are rock solid and fit like a glove around the piston gas block. They even have access holes in the righ places for gas block tightening regardless of type.

Yes there is a difference in quality weight and mounting but the true question is what you are looking for it to do. I say this as any rails will work but not for all options. You just want a shooter a round tube Hogue will do the trick but you cannot add stuff to it unless you custom machine it yourself.

So you need to figure out what kind of build you are looking to do then look at the rail that fit your needs. Are you after certain mounting system like Key mod, M-lock or screw on rail? What is going to be mounted to the rail and is the weight of the rifle and issue as the lighter they are the more they usually cost. Do you want a 10, 12 or 15 in rail and do you want a small diameter or do you care. Are you going to pound the crap out of it or keep it boxed up until you ready to use it then un-box it?

If you are trying to save weight the lighter weight titanium will run you 275 to 300 but are very light it includes a titanium barrel mounting nut as well. BCM makes a great one but they are usually out of stock but they make an aluminum one with a steel mounting nut or you can get the titanium nut as an option and put the aluminum rail on it to save some weight over just the kit.

There are several claiming designs and all claim to have the best hold or clamping so they do not come loose. Yankee hills, BCM, Diamondhead all seem to work well but it all goes back to what is your need.

So yes there is a difference in quality, weight and mounting from a 50 dollar soft aluminum/plastic from China to quality 6065 or 7075 aluminum from some of the better known companies.

But the key thing is what are you trying to do with it may be a bigger factor because the cheapo may fit the bill for a throw away gun to turn in when the government comes calling.. while you hide the good one.

For my last build, my goal was to see how light I could go and do it on a budget.

I took a gamble and bought a low cost carbon fiber handguard off the interwebs. It was quite rough and I could tell it had very soft screws so I was extra careful tightening things up.
I removed all of the pic rails except a small section to mount a back up sight, filed and sanded the rough spots to liking, installed everything and could quickly tell the mounting system (how the handguard attached to the barrel nut) was not going to work. It flexed and moved a lot.

I assembled everything and took it out to shoot/function check everything (gas system especially). It shot great, cycled wonderfully, great ejection pattern and no malfunctions.
I then went home, drilled some access holes in the tube in case I ever had to remove the gas block and epoxied the CF tube to the barrel nut.

Now the tube is rock solid. Downside is if I ever have to remove it, I'll have to use my strap wrench to do so. Overall, I am very happy with how things turned out. It's a 12 inch tube and after removing a lot of pic rail and some drilling, the tube and all mounting hardware (USGI barrel nut and tube's proprietary mounting system) weighs just a hair under 8ozs. Entire gun is 5.8lbs.

Reason for the story...yes, the cheap handguards can turn out great depending on what your goals/purposes are for your rifle.
For me to be happy, it required a lot of tinkering, modifying (which I enjoy doing) and some concessions.
With the top tier handguards, this level of tinkering or lower quality is not usually the case.

But again, know your purpose and goals, choose accordingly and remember, to each his own.

I still love the ALG EMR V2 the most :).

Edit - added a picture of the last build, because pictures always make things "more better."
20161017_151747 (1600x900).jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews