JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering getting my first AR. Not knowing much about them I have been drowning myself in internet information. I don't think I am ready to build one, so trying to find as much value for low $$ as possible. Seems like the M&P Sport II keeps coming up as a good rifle for the money, I am seeing them for around $590-$625 online (although it looks like two months ago they were going for $500-$525).

Those of you who know way more than I do, what do you think? Other suggestions/thoughts?

I like the M&P, however a couple of my buddy's have the Ruger AR556 and REALLY like them. It is proceed at ~$585 here in Eugene. I also know a few people that have Palmettos and like them as well. Either way have fun. I hear that AR's are addictive...

Pretty hard to go wrong with the M&P, Bushmaster, Colt, Ruger. Find the one you like to look at and is within your budget.

I have a Bushmaster XM15-E2, Sig M400, and a Noveski Rogue Hunter. I bought 2009 the Bushmaster which is still been the one I shoot the most and has been the only one of the 3 without any issues so far (knock on wood). It's been a great platform and I know there is a lot of folks that hate Bushmaster but I have nothing but love, I would wish it had MILSPEC parts vs commercial but whatever. It was 900 when I bought it, take a look at them and Windham. Believe me, AR's are an addiction.

image.jpeg

What will be your use? If it is just a range you and only theoretically a home defense tool, then spend as much on the rifle as you can squeak out.

On the other hand, if this rifle will be your primary long arm around your house, please don't forget to budget for:

Sling and mounting points
High lumen light
Robust and dependable optic
Lots of magazines
Lots of ammo

That list, done right, could cost 2-3 times the price of the rifle. The rifle is only the start.

Light and optic are the only pricy things on that list, the others aren't very expensive. Of course you could drop $10,000 on ammo and mags, but you could get a decent starting collection of each for a few hundred.

You can buy ready built now, I suggest MIL spec one or....I built mine during the panic because you couldn't find built ARs at any reasonable price. i am no mechanic nor metal surgeon but mine functions flawlessly using an Aero lower, complete except for hand guard BCM HBAR 14.5 middie upper, generic PSA or DPMS lower parts kit with an ALG trigger.
Then I Magpulled it out, STR, MOE hand grip, MOE pistol grip, B.A.D, etc. Enjoyed that so much I assembled a 10.5 " AR pistol this past fall when prices were way down for parts for less than 500 for complete pistol lower and Radical Fire Arms melonite barreled upper. I call it Rebel Yell because it's a PSA lower and RA is in Houston. President's Day I put 80 plus rounds through it and if ran flawlessly except for stock, gritty trigger, but that's an easy $30-50 fix. Buy or Build, but DO it now. You know what you want but it is hard to beat building your own and all the info you need is here and elsewhere on the web.

Welcome aboard!

Brutus Out

I was in you shoes about a year ago. I finally narrowed it down to S&W vs. Ruger AR556, mostly because all the options get really confusing and I needed a basic starting point to get familiar with the platform and then decide what I wanted/needed. In the end I went with Ruger for three reasons:

1. I like Ruger better as a company - YMMV
2. The Ruger has a dust cover
3. The Ruger has a forward assist.

My gun is going to spend 99.8% of its life in climate controlled safe, so the last two of those are probably a moot point, but still, I'm spending the money, so I decide what I want.

The Ruger has an ATI stock (IIRC) and it is a little rattly, and the rear sight does leave some to be desired if you are leaving iron sights on it. I bought it knowing that it was lacking, and I would "need" to upgrade some things, but I wanted a solid starting point. I feel I got what I wanted, I am happy with it.

Edit: I just googled "sport 2". Looks like they have added the dust cover and forward assist since i was shopping.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top