JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New AR guy here, playing with my first couple AR builds....

I bought a flattop complete upper with a standard front sight assembly, assuming I was going to have to pull the front sight off and replace it with a low profile or railed gas block.

I was doing my due diligence, researching a bunch of posts on different forums, and kept coming across posts by folks that said to just mount the scope, and you wouldn't be able to see the front sight.

That seemed really, really, short bus-drool bucket to me. It's obvious as all get out...the scope is 10" away, looking RIGHT AT a big, ol, giant, target obscuring, front sight tower optical obstruction.....DUH?!?!?!

I went ahead and put on my Depends, strapped on my drool bucket, and mounted that Nikon Pro-Staff looking RIGHT AT THAT BIG OL' SIGHT TOWER.

Well, I'll be go to heck.

It's friggin' magic.

I can't see the bugger. Must be some magic Nikon mojo. I can peek around the scope, and see the sight is there. I can look through the scope and it's gone. I can do this back and forth ALL NIGHT LONG. I'm amazed.

I'm sure it ain't the best thing. I'm sure there's someone that will point out the intolerable focal plane obfuscation(I read that word once and was looking for a chance to use it.) but I don't care. It's invisible as far as I can tell. I guess it does explain why in the holy heck they ever made flattop receivers with a ginormous front sight right in front of 'em, anyway.

Friggin' Magic scopes

Just thought I'd share my amazement.

Mark

It's not nikon mojo, it works with any sight. But it is AR magic. Keeps you believing and praying to the "evil black rifle" gods

Yeah cool huh?
It's a time warp continuum type deeellyy bob,focal plane speed of sound site dissappearing atcuum.
Never read that and was hoping to never have to use it.

You'll find that it makes the front sight invisible but your front sight does block light from entering your scope. If it doesn't bother you then run it.

you can get different height scope mounts. AR-specific mounts generally just barely clear the FSP.. but that's all you need to get clear LOS (line of sight). think about it- whats your FOV (field of view) on a given magnification? now imagine a giant triangle from the lowest point in you FOV to the highest... even if your FSP (front sight post) was almost on plane with your FOV, your amount of obscurement would be limited to the bottom of your FOV, and would still be basically absorbed by light traveling to the left and right.

generally with a good same-plane mount at low magnification (1-4) you DO get a slight hazing at the bottom of your sight picture. but it's never more than a hazing, and disappears entirely past 4x. if the benefits of having a fixed FSB are important to you, it's well worth it.

my last precision stick, slight haze at 3x-

View attachment 192391

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews