JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SO I have a Bushmaster 14.5 "Preban" upper with a permanently at attached flash suppressor. I am not sure if it is blind pinned or silver soldered. I am thinking I want to invest in a suppressor and will need to remove the existing one and replace it with something else???

If I order a new flash suppressor is it something any gunsmith can swap, is it something anyone on the boards can do for me (drinks and dinner).

Not knowing anything about sound suppressors will it make a difference which new flash suppressor I look into getting.....any recommendations??

Thanks

I am not an expert, but once you remove that flash suppressor, you will have made yourself a ATF controlled short barrelled rifle. The reason it was permenantly attached it so the length of the barrel could be more than 16 inches.

Most sound suppressors are removable and to make your rifle legal, it would have to be permanently attached. Even then, I don't know how legal it is to shorten the barrel, if only for a few minutes.

Be careful that you don't step over one of the ATF's lines.

My advice would be to buy a 16" barrel with a removable flash hider and a sound suppressor to go with it.

he should be able to remove the permanent flash suppressor and attach the new one that will allow quick on/off of the suppressor. The new flash hider should still make it legal length.

Your best bet is to take it to someone that really knows what they are doing because more than likely it will have to be torched/cut off part of the way.

he should be able to remove the permanent flash suppressor and attach the new one that will allow quick on/off of the suppressor. The new flash hider should still make it legal length.

Your best bet is to take it to someone that really knows what they are doing because more than likely it will have to be torched/cut off part of the way.

There is a thin line between legal and not: I hate to stand on a box, but here I go...

If any barrel is less than 16" with or without a flash guard/suppressor, it is SBR. When you look at the 16" barrels (many of us can and will after reading this) the actual length is a true 16" without the suppressor installed, which makes it legal. If you have anything shorter than the true 16" (up to the threads) you will have to have a permanently installed suppressor installed which makes it to lenght!!!

You are putting yourself into a double stamp rifle for the SBR and the sound suppressor. If the flash guard/suppressor is NOT permanently installed, you are in risk of becoming a felon and not knowing will not work in court.

There are ways around this:

1. Buy a true 16" barrel and sell the one you have before removing the fixed suppressor (it will lower your marketability by a few people).

2. Double stamp your gun and have at it (will cost you time and money).

3. There are some quick disconnect sound suppressors which the mounting ring/bracket gos on after and behind the flash suppressor. You can make this setup work and have the flash suppressor permanently reinstalled with the quick disconnect of the sound suppressor (bad idea, but can work with being legal). As you know, you are still on the hook for one stamp!

Just my .02 :s0155:

It sounds like the suppressor that he is getting he ordered a Quick Disconnect flash hider for it. Which would mean that he is wanting to remove the current flash hider and install the new one that will allow him to use the suppressor. Maybe I wasn't clear, but if you do so in order to stay "legal" you will have to have the new one permanently installed as well. The flash hider only counts as part of the barrel length if it is permanently attached and can not be readily removed by the user. But, as stated above this is a touchy issue and should be done by someone that knows the law and what they are doing as to avoid silver bracelets.

There are sound suppressors that QD to M16A2 flash suppressors and also the Vortex. I believe GEMTECH or AWC makes them. Don't quote me on that.

I do know if you get a GEMTECH with one of their suppressors with the QD setup they can swap out F/H for you.

SF-

Gentlemen, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I am aware of the 16 inch rule and my plan was to have my existing flash hider removed and replaced (permanently) with one allowing QD of the suppressor.

Since I have just begun thinking of this, I will plan on looking in to either suppressors that will work with my existing Phantom FH or look into the Suppressor company reinstalling the new QD. Other possible option look into swapping out the barrel (which I wouldnt mind for a 1/7 twist) OR pick up more OT and getting a new upper.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top