JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A discussion started in a now-closed Classified that I thought was worth preserving and building on, so I'm restarting that here. Worth noting that what sparked this was a listing of a transparent polymer lower.
But hear me out... LEDs to light it up with a control board in the grip to make lightsaber sounds...

If TN Arms can ever find a suitable polymer to make these again, I've been thinking pair with the clear Lancer mags, but add a red/green LED wired to the safety to give a more visible status indication. Maybe mount LED's up on the buffer-tower so you can tell without breaking sight picture...

Activated when the mag is installed... Yeah! I like the way you think! I would have it light up the whole lower.

Or to avoid mag modification, have it only the red LED and only on in Fire position...

I've also been toying with some minimal-mod ideas for adding those neat-little remaining-ammo counters like you saw in Aliens and virtually every FPS game. Here's what I've come up with, for you guys to discuss and refine...
--Some kind of RFID reader, using something like a cheap Android smartphone as the "onboard computer."
--Two RFID chips per mag. One on the floorplate reports magazine type, caliber and capacity. The other, attached to the follower bottom, marks follower position and an app compares the difference in positions to expected difference for a full mag to calculate remaining ammo.
--Possible interface to EOTech holosight with appropriate software revision; EOHack showed promise in this area but developer has basically abandoned the project. Perhaps Google Glass could be leveraged to add a Head Up Display onto the rifle optic as an alternate.

But this thread isn't just for me, it's also meant for any other would-be basement-inventor/mad-scientist types to swap ideas for weapon-mounted gadgetry--if memory serves, many years ago Mas Ayoob and I had discussed the idea of using card-lock doors and having each person's key also bear an RFID chip acting as an aircraft-style IFF "transponder" saying "Friendly, Don't Shoot;" at the time (early 2000s) he was rightly skeptical, but maybe technology and legal practices have matured enough for it now.

Tagging @Oregon Quartermaster @wiky86

And that's not really fair. There are lots of things I think are stupid that are huge commercial successes.

The world would be a boring place if everyone thought alike

Thanks for including me! Here's the lower in question. Haven't decided to do an ultralight 14.5" "pinned" 5.56, or an 11" .22 upper with a suppressor shroud. Either way the whole gun is going to be clear, white, stealth grey, and a little bit of orange tossed in for good measure.

Sounds like lots of tech and whiz-bang gadgets to go wrong. Nice red LED to give away your position or let someone else know if you're on safe or fire.

Answer's looking for questions, IMHO.

Not meant to be a battle rifle, or be taken too seriously. Just something to turn heads at the range, and have fun in competition maybe.

image.jpeg

And that's not really fair. There are lots of things I think are stupid that are huge commercial successes.

The world would be a boring place if everyone thought alike

There is a 4 page thread discussing a penis muzzle brake and a scrotum front vertical grip. Plus this exists:

chainsaw.jpg

so an LED receiver is quite reasonable :)

The trans-lower with safety lights I was thinking for range-toy fun only, while the remaining-ammo counter I'm completely serious about.

The IFF I'm not sure about or even how to develop, but seems like the kind of thing that'd be right up DARPA's alley... could be useful for reducing infantry Blue-on-Blues.

The trans-lower with safety lights I was thinking for range-toy fun only, while the remaining-ammo counter I'm completely serious about.

The IFF I'm not sure about or even how to develop, but seems like the kind of thing that'd be right up DARPA's alley... could be useful for reducing infantry Blue-on-Blues.
I remember seeing these at shows a few years ago. Radetec AR-15 Ammo Counter - The Gun Guys Reviews

It's a start... but the problem there is the proprietary followers and the clunky FOV-blocking display hanging off the side of the rifle, while I envision something leaner and cleaner plus no proprietary components that aren't a "universal fit" to any mag that can be disassembled.

:)

Sarge, the problem with Radetec's system is it requires a clunky display unit as big as a small scope, which blocks field of view, and it uses a follower with a magnet in it not compatible with PMAG and many other popular magazines.

What I'm envisioning is an RFID tag that just attaches to the bottom of your existing follower--ANY follower, any mag--and a display that's overlaid onto your dot-, reflex- or holosight or if you use a Google Glass-type system straight over your field of view (imagine wearing a pair of glasses with a fighter aircraft-style Head Up Display projected onto the lenses).

Not meant to be a battle rifle, or be taken too seriously. Just something to turn heads at the range, and have fun in competition maybe.

View attachment 326911
Also, if there were some transparent material strong enough for an upper and buffer-tube those clear lowers combined with Lancers or ETS's would make great instructional irons showing the moving parts in action. :)

The closest I've come to starting a project like this is that I've been embedding some of my guns with Bluetooth tracking devices.

View attachment 326972

I bought some of those tile deals and was real disappointed with how they worked. I wanted to put them on my keys in case they got lost and found they only narrow the location down to about a half mile radius.

Probably be fine for tracking a rifle ;-)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top