JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is anyone using drop in front rails on their AR....any thoughts, comments or concerns?

I was thinking about going this way instead of attaching permanent rails and wondered if there is any downside. I do like the idea of being able to switch out the rails at will if I want to.

Anyone carry them locally so I can take a look....?

If you mean rails that bolt onto the handguards individually, Wholesale Sports (Formally Sportsmans Warehouse) carries "Ergo" rail sections that work well.

If you mean drop-in quad rails, they work as can be expected. But most of them have some wobble.

If you mean rails that bolt onto the handguards individually, Wholesale Sports (Formally Sportsmans Warehouse) carries "Ergo" rail sections that work well.

If you mean drop-in quad rails, they work as can be expected. But most of them have some wobble.

The latter....and yes, I was wondering about wobble factor, is it substantial...enough to cause a problem for a pop out bi pod?

I was going to use the bolt on rails, but the Colt I have has a double baffle in the hand guard and it's also epoxied into place....!

No, Vertical Foregrips and Bipods will function just fine on a DI Quad Rail. Tac lights too. Daniel Defense has the "Omega" rail, which drops right in, but uses set screws to make it tight. It's also free floated. Pretty cool design, but a little more expensive.

But, all in all, Drop In rails are good to go for most things, if you don't mind some wobble in your hand. Just don't put an optic on it!

I have 2 different ones, both quad rail and drop in, both work very well, for grips/lights but as 'wakejoe' says I would not put an optic on it. There is some play in them but no different from my fat M4 handguards.

If you are looking for carbine length and are down this way and want to slap them on your upper to check them out let me know.

Thanks for the replies...I think I get it...'no optics', good, check :)

OK, looks like I know the direction I need to take....

wayoutwest...I'm headed to South in a couple of weeks, may just swing by your direction then.

I have the Knights Armament rail on one of my AR's. The top and sides are one piece and rock solid. The bottom has a little slop when you use the leverage from a vertical front grip to rock it back and fourth.

Wholesale Sports (Formally Sportsmans Warehouse) carries "Ergo" rail sections that work well.

wakejoe, your a star, the Ergo's are just what I needed. They have a different fitting method which means you can run a hex wrench from the outside fitting the bolt into a plate that (with a little finesses) you can line up with the holes on the inside between the baffle plates.

Just got it all mounted and it looks great, now I have to see ho wit functions when I hit the range tomorrow.

wakejoe, your a star, the ergo's are just what i needed. They have a different fitting method which means you can run a hex wrench from the outside fitting the bolt into a plate that (with a little finesses) you can line up with the holes on the inside between the baffle plates.

just got it all mounted and it looks great, now i have to see ho wit functions when i hit the range tomorrow.

pictures

Here is a little collage.

1. The handle/bipod attached
  2. The allen head bolt going through the rail
  3. The inside of the hand guard
    • Their are no holes on th einside bafle of the Colt
    • You can just about make out the little plate that the bolt threads into on the back side.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top