JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just put together my first AR the other week. My first outing went flawlessly cycling wise. .223 55gr, 5.56 55gr, 62gr, 68gr, 75gr.

I cleaned everything after that first outing; bore, chamber, bcg, charging handle....

But when I went out today, cycling of 55gr was sporadic. Bolt would mostly stay shut after the last shot. Sometimes I had feeding failures. The ftf frequency seemed to go down the longer I went. But the bolt would still stay shut. I didn't have enough time to shoot any heavier bulllets today.

Are you supposed to take the gas tube off and run through it as well? (I only shot 60 rounds the first time.)

Could be any of several things.
I would start by listing the components used in the build.
That might help with the troubleshoot.

Couple of notes :
AR's like to run wet.
So spray some CLP (or similar) into the carrier tunnel (not chamber) before shooting, especially with a new rifle.
Your rifle may have been too dry at the second shooting session and just needs a good shot of CLP and more rounds run through it.

You don't take off and clean the gas tube at each cleaning session.
You do however, need to make sure that all the gas system components are properly installed and aligned.
From the barrel gas port to the bolt.

if bolt isn't opening, you either have weak loads OR your barrel hole for the gas block is not aligned

It may have rotated or been improperly spaced from the start. There have been a lot of threads over the years of buys doing new builds and not getting the bolt to cycle. 75% of what I've seen is the alignment of the gas block.

I have an Aero Precision M4E1 Threaded 18" .223 Wylde Complete Upper Receiver - rifle length gas system - did not put that together myself. (Anderson lower AP lpk). Hmm, I was gifted a carbine stock, buffer, spring, counter weight and am using that. But was the first time also.

When cleaning today though, the bolt did actually feel a little dry moving back and forth in the bcg. I gave it a little bit more lube after cleaning this time. Hopefully that was the only problem. Gas block seems solid.

I have an Aero Precision M4E1 Threaded 18" .223 Wylde Complete Upper Receiver - rifle length gas system - did not put that together myself. (Anderson lower AP lpk). Hmm, I was gifted a carbine stock, buffer, spring, counter weight and am using that. But was the first time also.

When cleaning today though, the bolt did actually feel a little dry moving back and forth in the bcg. I gave it a little bit more lube after cleaning this time. Hopefully that was the only problem. Gas block seems solid.

Is the buffer a carbine weight one? Might want to try a different weight given that is a rifle length gas system instead of a carbine length one. Maybe H1 or H2.

Took apart again, cleaned and xtra lubed the bolt. Dry-running the bolt is definitely smoother now.
(Was used to wipe my G3 bone dry or the oil would freeze - old habits...)

Wet's the key - running good again.

Thanks everybody for your help!
My dad's AR was doing that when we were out in the desert shooting. We had no lube, so I pulled some off the dipstick from his truck, smeared a bit on the BCG and it ran fine the rest of the day. Sometimes ya just have to adapt to the situation.

Hose 'er down and choot it.

clp-5.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews