JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I built my 1st AR, I built it from complete kits. I'm planning out my next build and looking at part by part configurations, I now find the Buttstocks being specified either as "mil-spec or commercial diameter."

Can anyone be so kind as to tell me the difference, please?

magpulbuffertube.jpg

While some like mil-spec vs commercial just match you stock to your tube type or vice versa. You can get 6 positions in either type. Just decide the quality of aluminum you want for the tube and go.

Thank you, gentlemen! That explains a lot. So, since the diameters are different, this assumes that the lowers are either mil-spec or commercial too, right?

No. Not for this discussion anyway.

The buffer tube and stock are the two bits to be concerned about here. The diameter and thickness of the buffer tubes are slightly different.

If you pick a commercial buffer tube, pick a commercial stock.

Personally, I'd say pick the stock you want, then decide whether to get it in mil-spec or commercial. The stock you choose may not have an option, and you may have to get the buffer tube based on the stock choice.

No. Not for this discussion anyway.

The buffer tube and stock are the two bits to be concerned about here. The diameter and thickness of the buffer tubes are slightly different.

If you pick a commercial buffer tube, pick a commercial stock.

Personally, I'd say pick the stock you want, then decide whether to get it in mil-spec or commercial. The stock you choose may not have an option, and you may have to get the buffer tube based on the stock choice.

AHA! Thank you Dell_dude. That is very enlightening. I'll do that.

There's more to it than just the tube diameter. A true mil-spec RE well be a forged 7075 aluminum part. Many so called mil-spec after market RE's can be 6065 aluminum and extruded, not forged. For 99% of users it well not make any difference, but the forged RE's are stronger and well take a substantial amount more abuse.

There's more to it than just the tube diameter. A true mil-spec RE well be a forged 7075 aluminum part. Many so called mil-spec after market RE's can be 6065 aluminum and extruded, not forged. For 99% of users it well not make any difference, but the forged RE's are stronger and well take a substantial amount more abuse.

Not to take this too far down this road, but...
Madcratebuilder is correct, however almost all of the mil-spec tubes on the market today are not forged.
I like Dell_dude's advice, pick your stock, both tubes are readily available.
BTW this pertains only to carbine length tubes, rifle tubes are all the same.

Good to know, as this (prospective) build will be a "High stress unit" so very good info.

*In hind sight, the 1st build I ever did (10 years ago) was strictly a "Tacticool plinking tool." I wish I had known about this forum and the cool people in it. Thanks again.

Good to know, as this (prospective) build will be a "High stress unit" so very good info.

*In hind sight, the 1st build I ever did (10 years ago) was strictly a "Tacticool plinking toy." I wish I had known about this forum and the cool people in it. Thanks again.

For a "High stress unit" build I would recommend the LMT SOPMOD stock. You well not find anything with as tight of fit on the sliding portion of the butt. There is absolutely no movement at all, zero. This does come with a price, about $250 for the complete setup. It's not out of line with other high end butts........and way cheaper than some butts I've dated.;)

For a "High stress unit" build I would recommend the LMT SOPMOD stock. You well not find anything with as tight of fit on the sliding portion of the butt. There is absolutely no movement at all, zero. This does come with a price, about $250 for the complete setup. It's not out of line with other high end butts........and way cheaper than some butts I've dated.;)

That's the one I have, and I definitely second the recommendation.

It's also very comfortable, gives a great cheek weld, and also has storage for batteries for your light or optics.

Quality piece of gear.

Another for the SOPMOD.

So... what are you guys trying to say? Please give me a hint... :dinner: :s0114:

Wait... I think I got it! :s0155::s0053: SOPMOD!

LMTSOP.gif

The Magpul ACS is a nice butt, they do have a problem with removing facial hair:( that I find annoying. My ACS is tighter than the run of the mill M4 butt yet it still has some movement that you wont have with the sopmod.

The Magpul ACS is a nice butt, they do have a problem with removing facial hair:( that I find annoying. My ACS is tighter than the run of the mill M4 butt yet it still has some movement that you wont have with the sopmod.
Thanks for the info. My MOE pulls out my facial hair and it drives me nuts. I was thinking of upgrading to the ACS in hopes it would solve this problem. Do you know of any other stocks besides the sopmod that don't have any play?