JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have my Stag 24" stainless bull barrel upper coming.I have my G&R LPK coming and I already have my DPMS lower in my little bear paws.

(I have investigated these parts to no end,and got what I felt was perfect for me and my budget,so please,lets not start a name brand war)

Anyway.I will be using this for some bench rest and for some yote hunting.
What have y'all found to be the best kind of stock for good balance comfort and accuracy?

Is the standard A1 that bad or would one of those fancy adjustables be worth the $250?

Not a big fan of the "tacticool" ones.Not sure I care if it extends or not.

Thank you sirs.

A 24" bull is going to be a heavy rig.
You usually see these with with Magpul UBR or PRS if only to offset the nose-heaviness.
Not a rig that you will like to pack up and down canyons.
A good, padded sling would be a must.

If it were mine and I had some spare jing I would look at having it fluted fore and aft.

I'm a big fan of my VLTOR, awesome cheek rest and adjustable. You can always add weight to the "battery" compartments on the side to help balance the gun out.

When I had my 20" combo going:

243187626-XL.jpg

With the 24" gun you really need some weight in the back to help balance it out and this is never going to be a "light" gun. I had an Ace on it for a while and that was a bad choice the gun was too nose heavy.

I have a UBR on one of my 16" guns and really like it but for what you are talking about the PRS is a much better choice.

DSC06840.jpg

Or go with the A2 stock and add some weight to help balance it out.
4th item down,will give you an idea. <broken link removed>
Maybe you can make your own,or know some one that can help.

The answer to your original question is "no, the standard A1/A2 are not bad". I prefer them over a lot of other stocks. The rifle buffer has more weight than most carbine buffers and helps smooth the recoil. Since they are fixed, they don't wobble. And since it's a 24" bull, it's not like you're looking for something compact and lightweight. If you move to a carbine type stock, you're now talking cost for the new tube, heavy buffer, new spring, and new stock shell.

My suggestion would be to stick with what you have. Worst case, add some weight to the buttstock to get the balance out.

Or go with the A2 stock and add some weight to help balance it out.
4th item down,will give you an idea. <broken link removed>
Maybe you can make your own,or know some one that can help.

That's closer to $100 total cost,so me thinks this is the way to go first.
The ACS is pushing a close second (price wise) and the PRS waiting at the block for funds.

I guess I misread you question the first time. I thought you didnt want a standard stock.

There is nothing wrong with the standard A2 stock a all. I would go A2 over A1. The A1 is shorter and harder to find.

sounds like the A2 is your option... why didn't you just go with it? if this is gonne be a non-packed, prone-only gun for varmint, i'd get an A2 and put a lead weight in the trapdoor. make it as ***-heavy as possible.

i have a modstock on my huntin' AR, and will likely be putting a MOE on it before next season. weight is my main concern. doesn't even have backup sights on it <tactical gasp>. but there's no way to make a 24" bull gun "light," so you might as well bank on smoothing out recoil.

A very good and Highly experienced friend of mine once told me as we spoke of stocks "There are alot of stocks out there,some for shooting,some for carrying and exiting from vehicles,some for looking cool. try a few different ones at the range andrun what works for you."
I have lowers with many types, My Varminter has an Ace Standard length skeliton on it.. I have a shorty with a CAA multi position and adjustable cheek rest. and another with an A2 that has a 1" extension to make it fit me correctly. **** I have a pistol AR with basically no stock..try a few and see. most people at the range ,at least at the one I go to would be glad to let you fire thier toys.

Here's a guy who likes to run heavy barrels for varmints, deer, speed goat, etc.
Some interesting wildcats as well :
<broken link removed>
They run a mix of stock types.

Yeah I like that one in the top picture

And that Vltor is a lot like the Magpul ACS .Those two are right in the price I was hoping for right now.And they are pretty comfortable.
Nobody withing 100 miles has this stuff in stock to touch.
I read one thread that said you'll buy a few before your done.
Then do I have to start more builds to go with the extra stocks?
hehehe

BTW madcratebuilder,whats the optics on that rifle?

I would run a rra stage two trigger with a bull bbl. Or any after market trigger geared towards a nice smooth pull. The gi stg one is wretched. The mention trigger kit can be found for 120$...i know u got a lpk already but i just cant make sense of having an accurate setup without a good trigger. Cant beat the rra stg 2 as far as most bang for the buck...i know this isnt what u wanted to hear but if you try it you will never want to shoot a std gritty trigger again. Congrats on the build GL

I vote for an A1/A2 stock for accuracy, cheap price, weight and less prone to any failures

madcratebuilder,whats the optics on that rifle?

It's a 20 year old Hakko 5-15X56 I picked up for $50. Hakko made the 5-15X56 M1A scopes for Springfield Armory. This Hakko has a unusual option, change the reticle color by turning a ring. Far from a high end piece of glass, it does repeat and glass is OK. I would compare it to a Bushnell 3200 Elite. Saving for a Nightforce, and saving....

I would run a rra stage two trigger with a bull bbl. Or any after market trigger geared towards a nice smooth pull. The gi stg one is wretched. The mention trigger kit can be found for 120$...i know u got a lpk already but i just cant make sense of having an accurate setup without a good trigger. Cant beat the rra stg 2 as far as most bang for the buck...i know this isnt what u wanted to hear but if you try it you will never want to shoot a std gritty trigger again. Congrats on the build GL

I vote for an A1/A2 stock for accuracy, cheap price, weight and less prone to any failures

Yeah I kinda figured the trigger would be changed soon.I bought the LPK for all the parts and to get shooting.
And you like the 2 stage other than a 1 stage at about 3-4#s ? I'm sure I'll end up trying both.

Stock then optics then shooting then changes

IF you are looking for a little cheaper stock with a cheek rest, BOHICA arms sells one that is like the ACE skeleton but has an adjustable cheek rest. IIRC its in the $150 range with out buffer, spring and tube. Worth a look anyway.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top