JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cheapo upgrade... I've had great luck with spike flat wires and run them in several of mine.

Obviousy they can be found cheaper elsewhere.
Those are nice, I was also looking at the springco blue and red springs as well.

Rack first round fires fine, pull trigger for second round nothing happens. Eject bullet to check and it only has a really tiny dimple on the primer. This only happens when trying to fire in rapid succession. Slow my trigger pulls and it works fine.
Guns not new it's several years old.
No issues going into battery other than not fast enough for what I want.
Never had any mag issues and was cleaned and lubed that week it was used.
Got no issues cycling at a slower rpm than what I want.
Pin is on the older side so might replace it as well for good measure.
When you pull the trigger for the second round. Is the trigger dead? Aka, bolt went rear, ejected spent case, chambered new round, you have already released the trigger, you pull trigger again but the hammer already fell out followed the bolt during cycling? Or is the hammer resetting as it should and you pull the trigger and you get that audible hammer drop?

I don't think you are out running the trigger. It is possible, but it's actually pretty difficult to do.

Next time this occurs, before you elect the no bang round, give the forward assist a good whack and see if the carrier goes forward more. It could be failing to fully chamber. Being fairly old, it could be a bunch of crud built up over time in the chamber and it needs a thorough cleaning.

Firing pins wear, but not as fast as one thinks. Think 50-100 thousand rounds type thing.

Hammer sping could be the culprit still. Or the disconnect. Especially if they are really old.

In other words, it could still be many things.

I'd likely start by cleaning the chamber well with a chamber brush. I usually attach mine to a drill and dip the brush into some hops 9 and have at it for a bit. You would be surprised at the amount of crud that builds up in a DI chamber.

Secondly, I'd swap the trigger and hammer with a new set. See if that solves the issue.

Thirdly, I'd replace the firing pin if the above doesn't fix the issue.

After that, I'd start looking at buffer spring and bolt replacements.

How far into owning it did it start having issues?

Have you changed anything on it recently?

Last Edited:
When you pull the trigger for the second round. Is the trigger dead? Aka, bolt went rear, ejected spent case, chambered new round, you have already released the trigger, you pull trigger again but the hammer already fell out followed the bolt during cycling? Or is the hammer resetting as it should and you pull the trigger and you get that audible hammer drop?

I don't think you are out running the trigger. It is possible, but it's actually pretty difficult to do.

Next time this occurs, before you elect the no bang round, give the forward assist a good whack and see if the carrier goes forward more. It could be failing to fully chamber. Being fairly old, it could be a bunch of crud built up over time in the chamber and it needs a thorough cleaning.

Firing pins wear, but not as fast as one thinks. Think 50-100 thousand rounds type thing.

Hammer sping could be the culprit still. Or the disconnect. Especially if they are really old.

In other words, it could still be many things.

I'd likely start by cleaning the chamber well with a chamber brush. I usually attach mine to a drill and dip the brush into some hops 9 and have at it for a bit. You would be surprised at the amount of crud that builds up in a DI chamber.

Secondly, I'd swap the trigger and hammer with a new set. See if that solves the issue.

Thirdly, I'd replace the firing pin if the above doesn't fix the issue.

After that, I'd start looking at buffer spring and bolt replacements.

How far into owning it did it start having issues?

Have you changed anything on it recently?
As said before, the rifle was cleaned and serviced the same week.
Yes the trigger is dead for the second shot and no there is no sound for the hammer hitting.
Hammer works just fine when I phyically slow my trigger pulls.
This issue has only just recently started.
I'm planning to change the buffer spring and bcg to see if it still happens with each test.

It about sounds like BCG bounce.
Which usually isn't a concern in SA.

A weak action spring and a buffer that's a bit light like a carbine buffer and a generous gas port could make things interesting.

If I had a carbine action I would at least use a good spring and H or H2 buffer to start with.
All of mine are mid or rifle length gas and I use the A5

As said before, the rifle was cleaned and serviced the same week.
Yes the trigger is dead for the second shot and no there is no sound for the hammer hitting.
Hammer works just fine when I phyically slow my trigger pulls.
This issue has only just recently started.
I'm planning to change the buffer spring and bcg to see if it still happens with each test.
Sorry for the repetition and annoyance of my questioning. It takes time and questions to help decipher internet AR problems. It's usually so much easier to figure out if I was there in person. I don't know your knowledge ARs nor anyone's in the internet really. Some folks miss the easiest of issues because they feel it is something else.

It took till now to determine that the hammer is not resetting. Either because the bolt isn't cycling fully or you are out running the trigger. There are many factors for why both happen. Narrowing down the reasons is usually the best way to come to a conclusion on what to replace. That being said, you can also just start throwing money at it too and see if replacing things helps.

Sorry for the repetition and annoyance of my questioning. It takes time and questions to help decipher internet AR problems. It's usually so much easier to figure out if I was there in person. I don't know your knowledge ARs nor anyone's in the internet really. Some folks miss the easiest of issues because they feel it is something else.

It took till now to determine that the hammer is not resetting. Either because the bolt isn't cycling fully or you are out running the trigger. There are many factors for why both happen. Narrowing down the reasons is usually the best way to come to a conclusion on what to replace. That being said, you can also just start throwing money at it too and see if replacing things helps.
Yeah I'm not wanting to just throw money at it, kind of a waste. I did get a chance to break down the rifle today and the buffer spring is at 10" so I'm going to start there by replacing it with a new one and test that first. Than a lighter and heavier buffer as well and than try with a new bcg as well if those don't work.

Yeah I'm not wanting to just throw money at it, kind of a waste. I did get a chance to break down the rifle today and the buffer spring is at 10" so I'm going to start there by replacing it with a new one and test that first. Than a lighter and heavier buffer as well and than try with a new bcg as well if those don't work.
For speed only, a lighter buffer but that can also lead to more bolt bounce, so, counterintuitively you may actually need to go with the stronger spring but heavier buffer.

I dunno what your current buffer weight is. Did I miss it?

Ideally, you only want to change one element/component at a time. If your smoker has been running just the way you like since day one and this is just a recent hiccup, that really does seem to lend itself to a worn or new issue developement so I wouldn't go full hog on swapping shtuff's around at once. Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

"Standard" carbine springs run 10.5" so if you're relaxed length is 10", that certainly might indicate your spring is losing a bit of lead in his pencil.

For speed only, a lighter buffer but that can also lead to more bolt bounce, so, counterintuitively you may actually need to go with the stronger spring but heavier buffer.

I dunno what your current buffer weight is. Did I miss it?

Ideally, you only want to change one element/component at a time. If your smoker has been running just the way you like since day one and this is just a recent hiccup, that really does seem to lend itself to a worn or new issue developement so I wouldn't go full hog on swapping shtuff's around at once. Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

"Standard" carbine springs run 10.5" so if you're relaxed length is 10", that certainly might indicate your spring is losing a bit of lead in his pencil.
Buffer is a standard carbine buffer and first item to be replaced is the sping. I do have an H and H2 incase I need them.

If it were me... I'd try to find a "loaner" lower and place your upper on it and see if the issue persists.
Still sounds like a fire control group issue to me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top