JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright folks, I've got a question that I can't seems to get a straight answer for so hoping folks here can help.

I'm looking to try and increase the speed of the bcg, there by reducing the time to battery. I've got plenty of push back just need a faster return speed.

What I can't seem to get an answer about is whether I need a heavier buffer, buffer spring, both buffer & spring, and/or an adjustable gas block or combination of.

Current setup is a standard carbine spring and buffer with standard gas block with a 16" barrel, standard carbine setup, no suppresser. Model is a standard M&P15 in 5.56 NATO.

Last Edited:
So are you saying that you are out running the trigger?
Not sure if I'm getting the question right but I'm just trying to get the bolt to return to battery faster because it's causing me light strikes. Bolt seems to be returning at same or close to same speed as the hammer on followup pulls.

I think yer barkin' up the wrong tree.
Maybe it's the ammo. Is this proven, reliable ammo ?
Then I'd look at the trigger and namely the hammer spring.
Then I'd have an assortment of buffers.
You could probably run an H2 or H3 with that rig depending on your ammo.

Change 'em out until you like the recoil impulse and ejection pattern.

I think yer barkin' up the wrong tree.
Maybe it's the ammo. Is this proven, reliable ammo ?
Then I'd look at the trigger and namely the hammer spring.
Then I'd have an assortment of buffers.
You could probably run an H2 or H3 with that rig depending on your ammo.

Change 'em out until you like the recoil impulse and ejection pattern.
So I thought it might be the ammo but it happened with several factory brands and with handloads as well but not as often with handloads.
I thought it might be the hammer spring as well but not sure. I'm hesitant to try and reduce the hammer spring as it's a standard mil-spec hammer and spring.
I did get a new carbine spring and some new buffers h1 and h2 as well to see if that helps.
I'm not really having an issue with recoil but it has gotten a little rougher over time so hoping the new springs help.

Light primer strikes is more than likely ammo or your spring is too light. Shouldn't have to do with your buffer system.

I used different brands of ammo and the hammer works fine when I slow my trigger pulls.
I dont know what to tell you then…. Your buffer/spring is going to control how fast the BCG reciprocates. It has nothing to do with the firing pin making contact with the primer.

Hammer should not be being released until after bolt is fully in battery. At that time the bolt carrier group is no longer in motion. If when it strikes hard enough to fire is gun ejecting and chambering next round as it should? If so quit messing with buffer and recoil springs...
Try a heaver hammer spring...

Take the upper off the lower and post a picture from the top showing the hammer and spring orientation.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top