JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know where I can find a list of all of the AR-15 components that can be purchased seperately, and which if any components have to be purchased as part of a kit? I think I saw a post awhile back that had a link to a forum that caters to AR15 aficionados, but can't seem to find it by doing a search.

I am going to build an AR-15 for varmint hunting, but am going to try to keep costs as low as humanly possible without resorting to buying garbage components. I am not in a hurry, so my thoughts are if I can get a parts list I can tape it next to my PC and whenever I see a really fantastic sale price on a part I can buy it and cross it off the list. This way I can buy the gun in small pieces to help not only keep the price down but spread out the purchase over a period of time that will keep my wife talking to me. ;)

Yeah...google doesn't tell you the quality of the information on the eleventy billion AR forums out their either though. I even tried a couple and could not find a parts list. I asked here because I had seen someone referred once to an AR site that was supposed to be very well informed. I just couldn't find that post again. Thanks anyways though.:s0077:

You can buy EVERY part separately. Though it won't be the cheapest route to go. Some assemblies and parts kits are more cost effective to buy than the individual parts, specially if if consider shipping. I imagine a lower parts kit would end up costing about $300 if you shopped around for the lowest priced detent spring or bolt catch pin and then paid the shipping for each of these parts individually.

IM building one on a budget, DPMS Lower $130 DPMS lower parts kit $60 DPMS buffer and tube $35 still have a lot more to buy. thought the lower would be hard but is was a sinch. now Im looking to build my upper and buy my butt stock. I just keep looking for the deals and hit the shows. it can be done. I know DPMS is not the best, its in the middle, there are alot cheeper and alot better, all that I have read is LMT is one of the tops along with colt to name a few. good luck dont get discouraged.

you can break it down to individual parts naming each spring and detent but that would be silly

if you wanted to go that route go to any of the dealer sights like DTI and click on upper parts and it will show a schematic with each part then click lower parts and same deal

or do it the common since way

since your building AR-15 for varmint hunting here is a good sample list if i were building one

Lower receiver

lower parts kit minus FCG

Armalite RRA or other 2 stage FCG

20" or 24" stainless fluted barrel

rifle lenth briley carbon fiber float tube very light weight and dissipates heat.

flip up gas block

Gas tube

Colt Mpc or other MP tested bolt

Smith enterprise , colt or other quality carrier

A2 or other stock

Houge Grip

PWS (even though i have experenced poor customer service and lack of stand by product) muzzle break flash hider it really works and is really loud

Stock

buffer tube

Buffer spring

enidine hydrolic buffer

Burris PEPR scope mount

Harris bi pod and stud

P mags

Leupold or simular mid range scope

but here is the deal if you bargain hunting you can alter that in some ways
like getting a full lower parts kit and just having the trigger worked

or you dont have the have a enidine buffer but it sure make it shoot smooth

the pws also take a lot of the recoil and climb out and the combo of the 2 above you'll think your shooting a really loud .22 rimfire but will keep you on target for them little critters way out ther

and as far as scopes you can go with high end like the leupolds which have great glass and durabilty and awsome warrentee or you can save some money and get a pretty decent simmons (just don't buy any of the under $60 models) or bushnell ect that can still do the job

Thanks guys, especially Eldbillbo. That list is pretty much what I was looking for. Gonna put it next to my PC and watch for items to be on sale and snatch up the parts one at a time when I can find good deals on them.

Tons of information out there best to sort it out on your own, read a lot of post, visit sites and understand the function/value of the parts you are buying. I have owned a couple AR's over the years and decided to build one expecting to save some money. A simple A2 carbine was my goal. It got complicated quickly with all the options available, I blew past my budget in a heart beat but built a rifle I truly enjoy.

P1000348.JPG

Tons of information out there best to sort it out on your own, read a lot of post, visit sites and understand the function/value of the parts you are buying. I have owned a couple AR's over the years and decided to build one expecting to save some money. A simple A2 carbine was my goal. It got complicated quickly with all the options available, I blew past my budget in a heart beat but built a rifle I truly enjoy.

I don't actually have a set budget in mind. I just can't spend the money all in one chunk. I figure a long series of small-medium cost purchases will go over with my wife better than $1500 or more all at once to buy the rifle I want. :winkkiss:

usually when you buy a barrel it has the barrel adapter already installed and should be headspaced, most come with the gas block installed and should just be a mater of installing and tourqing the barrel nut. if not dont buy it, unless you can machine the barrel and ream the chamber. the tools to do that are expensive.

I'm confused. why are there ppl thats say get a chrome lined barrel and other are saying not to get it. My friend was saying that the chrome lined barrel can do at least 30k rounds. Now i looked it up and i think hes right because a non-chrome lined barely does 6k rounds. I am building my AR and even more confused then when i started. and then i heard that the AR our troops are using are chromed. my friends got a complete armalite upper chrome lined 20 1 in 9 twist. Its way way way accurate @ two hundred yards. but he was going for price. 500 for the complete upper.
I have a mega gator lower now i need a 223 upper.

if anyone has any input with real numbers that we ALL can back trace online that would be so helpful! Thanks

NWAMMO.COM <--friends shop. good prices

If you shop around you can find some really good deals. Lowers of decent quality can be had right now for less than $100. DPMS LPK's are decent and can be had in the $50-60 range. Barrel expect $200-300 (black hole weaponry or Olympic arms make good varmint/match barrels). Uppers can be had on the cheap if you don't mind used or stripped. Google stuff and you can find bits for pretty cheap sometimes. Optics and mounts are the place where you are going to have to drop some $$$$ usually. Really you can build this gun for under $800 if you wanted to and were patient, but then you will probably want to spend about as much on glass.

Another good thing to keep your eyes out for is during the holidays a lot of places throw some wicked sales (like shrubmaster and stuff). Good time to be buying.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top