JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Also a newbie in the AR build experience, but wondering how your AR break-in experience went?

I only managed to fire one round so far due to the cattle and horse roaming the area so I had to shut down the break in for a time. But my first round failed to fire, recharged and it fired just fine. Then the brass stove-piped.

My concern is this, when I put on the gas block, pinned of course, and slid the gas block back to the barrel ridge that lines up the holes at the barrel length back from the end of the barrel. Then to center the hole side to side I just did the eyeball thing. So if it was not exactly correctly centered it would cause the rifle to not cycle correctly, right?

What method did you use to insure the gas holes were lined up perfectly?

What barrel do you have? The AR barrel is the heart of the weapon and if you went cheap I would look there, first. Post a pic of the spent brass.. also, what ammo are you using?

AR does not need break-in.

most problems are caused by magazine, gas tube (size, alignment), buffer spring rate.

If you really wanna do it right, take a pencil and draw a line centered on the gas hole on the barrel down the length of the barrel. Then draw a line on the end of the gas block even with the hole. slide it on, align the two pencil lines, and your good to go.

Clean it before shooting it the first time, then shoot it, then shoot it some more, and finally shoot it a little more. You can clean it if you want to after that. I seldom clean my AR and when I do, it is more because I just want to mess around with it more than it needs cleaning.

In short, Skang is right. AR does not need break-in.

I grab a stack of 10 mags and slap on my slide fire lower(plum) and go to work. Get it red hot and all is right in the world. That's how I broke in the olny 2 ARs I've had new. They run like a top.

Fail to fire wouldn't be gas block related, stovepipe could be.

How about if you want some help you give us some details on the gun. Sounds like a home build so there could be a world of issues depending on parts used.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top