Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR Brass Catcher

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Ligito, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Ligito

Ligito Oregon Active Member

What brand and where, to get a good brass catcher?
    I saw one in use at a range and would like one for an AR.

2. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Make your own Like this, you get the idea. Will work for pistol and other type of semi auto rifles.

brasscatcher_tripod_01.jpg

brasscatcher_tripod_01.jpg

3. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I got one of these and it works ok once you get it adjusted right on your rifle, and the price is hard to beat. I'd only use it for range work because it can occasionally FTE and bounce the case back in the action.
    Deluxe Brass Catcher AR-15 Nylon Mesh Black
    The ones like Skang are probably the best way to go, but I have enough gear to haul to the range as it is.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

A simple tarp laid on the ground next to you is quite effective for range use. When you are done fold up the 4 corners and all the brass is in the middle.

I have a couple like DTD linked you too. I had a lot of problems with brass bounce back. I took 2 pieces of plastic I had and riveted them to the sides of the main channel and that helped a whole bunch. Still would not use it is where a failure could cause harm.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  5. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

I have one like DTD's link. The main problem is that the top part of the fabric tends to collapse onto the bottom part and it closes off. That will occasionally cause the case to not fully eject then then bolt jams on it while closing. I was thinking about something like what NWcid mentioned but haven't figured out exactly how I want to do it yet.

elsie

6. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

7. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

The plastic trick seems to help keep the cheap brass catchers from collapsing. Cut a piece from a gallon milk jug and it'll have the curve built in for you.

8. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

The Caldwell looks like the upper fabric part might be a bit stiffer than the one I picked up (some cheap thing at a gun show). That would help it keep it's shape while the mesh fills.

elsie

9. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member