JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's interesting is:
#1 It was originally developed for .308
#2 The idiots in government willfully used the wrong powder to try and make the performance appear less than desirable.
#3 The idiots in government thought that cleaning kits weren't needed.
The AR10 style platforms are cool too, but the better standardization of the AR15 platform has won me over. I would still like to mess around with the DPMS Gen 1 type platform one day.

Idiots is a fitting description.

I had a dream about a triggering mechanism for a slam fire AR15 upper build. It would consist of a piece of pipe attached to an A2 grip. The piece of pipe would have a firing pin driver attached to the end of it. The pipe would be of a diameter that would fit inside the BCG and the firing pin driver would extend far enough to make contact with firing pin and drive it into the loaded cartridge primer.

Kind of along similar lines…at what point does the weapon become semi auto? If you used the gas to throw the bolt back and eject a round, but used some sort of cushion or weak spring so that the bolt wouldn't cycle and you'd be forced to close the bolt by hand…would that count as a semi or no?

I'm thinking of an action that's like a hybrid AR and straight pull bolty…gas system causes unlocking the bolt and extraction but loading is done by shoving the bolt home by hand.

Note: I don't care about the practicality or non commercialability of the idea…just a question about definitions and where the line is drawn.

Kind of along similar lines…at what point does the weapon become semi auto? If you used the gas to throw the bolt back and eject a round, but used some sort of cushion or weak spring so that the bolt wouldn't cycle and you'd be forced to close the bolt by hand…would that count as a semi or no?

I'm thinking of an action that's like a hybrid AR and straight pull bolty…gas system causes unlocking the bolt and extraction but loading is done by shoving the bolt home by hand.

Note: I don't care about the practicality or non commercialability of the idea…just a question about definitions and where the line is drawn.
Not sure but in the UK they have a legal (non-semiauto) AR15 rifle that has a gas system. The BCG functions as normal but the BCG locks back after every shot. The shooter then hits a bolt release button to release the BCG and load the next round. Not quite what you were describing but seems to allow for fairly fast shooting and is supposedly legal in the UK, as a manual loading firearm.

The upper only firearm project won't have a gas system. It also may not have a stock. The one thing it must have is a method to drive the firing pin into the primer.

Just a man who can think: if the process doesn't end with a fully chambered round ready to fire with a second trigger pull, it's not semi auto.

So all the frankengun ideas you have wouldn't change it to semi auto unless it achieved that.

You could probably literally take the upper as is, attach a rubber band of high strength to the back of the firing pin, have it attached further up on the rail so as to create potential energy when it is pulled back, pull on the rubber band back, let it go. I haven't tested this, nor will I, but the premise is there since the only thing the trigger hammer does anyway is whack the firing pin hard enough to hit the primer with sufficient strength, in theory a rubber band could do the same thing. This would be a single loaded round into the chamber by hand.

Edit: A bungee or surgical tubing might work better than a rubber band, but the idea remains the same.
The rubber band idea might work well if the firing pin was spring loaded to return to the firing position. The spring tension would have to be enough that when released, it would slam the firing pin into the primer with enough force to set it off. The spring tension would have to be light enough that when putting the bcg into battery it would not set off the primer. If the right level of spring tension could be achieved, you could literally use a rubber band running out through the back of the bcg. Pull it and let go.

The rubber band idea might work well if the firing pin was spring loaded to return to the firing position. The spring tension would have to be enough that when released, it would slam the firing pin into the primer with enough force to set it off. The spring tension would have to be light enough that when putting the bcg into battery it would not set off the primer. If the right level of spring tension could be achieved, you could literally use a rubber band running out through the back of the bcg. Pull it and let go.
Seems like the rubber band not being connect 100% of the time would cure that. Because even normally a AR firing pin isn't in tension, it's floating freely in the channel. If there was a chute behind the firing pin that was cut horizontally, a bead in the center of the rubber band bulled back and released into the chute could possibly hit the firing pin similar to a hammer causing force forward and ignition of primer. To reload, put rubber band on outside of chute, pull BCG, load single round. Put BCG back in, repeat process.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top