JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to make extra sure my knowledge is correct regarding operation of AR BCG.

Assuming no gas system is present, my understanding is the BCG will remain locked after a cartridge is fired. The bcg would then have to be pulled out of the chamber for the bolt lugs to rotate and allow the bolt to be released from locking lugs. Does anybody here disagree with that?

Sounds right.
1592477886130.png

You can test this with dummy rounds as well. Load a few dummy rounds, insert magazine, pull charging handle, pull trigger. You have to pull the charging handle to eject the shell and load the next one.

You can test this with dummy rounds as well. Load a few dummy rounds, insert magazine, pull charging handle, pull trigger. You have to pull the charging handle to eject the shell and load the next one.
I just wanted to make sure that the buffer and spring wasn't somehow helping to keep lugs from unlocking in non-gas set up.

Last Edited:
Gas pressure moves the bolt carrier rearward and in doing so, rotates and unlocks the bolt. Not sure how anything is going to move if the carrier has nothing present to force it rearward.

Gas pressure moves the bolt carrier rearward and in doing so, rotates and unlocks the bolt. Not sure how anything is going to move if the carrier has nothing present to force it rearward.
That's what I figured too, but I expect to get grief otherwise when I talk about firing a cartridge without an extension tube there to catch the bcg.

I just wanted to make sure that the buffer and spring wasn't somehow helping to keep lugs from unlocking in non-gas set up.

Just a bit of fun trivia:

If you fire blanks in an AR without a blank adaptor the action will not cycle either.

Have you ever noticed the "starburst" muzzle flash of "M16's" fired in the movies? That's because there's a "spike" in the muzzle hidden by the flash-hider that produces enough back pressure for the gas operation to work and vents the gases through the slots in the bird-cage. Sometimes at the right camera angle you can see that "spike" inside the flash-hider. You can't make a movie with USGI "clamp on" blank adaptors, now can you?

Last Edited:
Just a bit of fun trivia:

If you fire blanks in an AR without a blank adaptor the action will not cycle either.

Have you ever noticed the "starburst" muzzle flash of "M16's" fired in the movies? That's because there's a "spike" in the muzzle hidden by the flash-hider that produces enough back pressure for the gas operation to work and vents the gases through the slots in the bird-cage. Sometimes at the right camera angle you can see that "spike" inside the flash-hider. You can make a movie with USGI "clamp on" blank adaptors, now can you?

I liked the muzzle flash in Ultraviolet that resembles a biohazard warning logo

Had a friend make a manual cycle 300 Blackout AR. He just welded the gas port closed in the barrel. No gas tube, gas block or anything. It shoots very quietly with his suppressor, but you do have to manually cycle the action.

Had a friend make a manual cycle 300 Blackout AR. He just welded the gas port closed in the barrel. No gas tube, gas block or anything. It shoots very quietly with his suppressor, but you do have to manually cycle the action.
He didn't want an adjustable gas block with a shut off? I've considered doing the same thing but went another route. My AR mag Ruger American will be here this week in 300blk

He didn't want an adjustable gas block with a shut off? I've considered doing the same thing but went another route. My AR mag Ruger American will be here this week in 300blk

I think the idea was to build on the super cheap. I think he said he was into the parts on a trade for like $50 and didn't want to spend a dime on it. It works quite well for a cheap-o!

Not sure why you would WANT to DO that...lol
I have a couple of ideas for manual loading AR projects. One is a pistol with a lower attached and one just using an upper only. Not having a ext. tube is necessary for upper only project the pistol project could use the tube or not.

Couple of guys made something similar on YouTube. I'll see about finding it for you.

Guy cuts half the carrier off and mills out the left side of the upper receiver to attach a charging handle.

The guy at the LGS here says his is whisper/hollywood quiet with a suppressor and subsonics. I noticed out RA .223/5.56 bolt gun is significantly quieter with the suppressor than the AR.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top