JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have read lots of threads about ar's and all the different uppers, lowers , and triggers. I haven't seen allot of talk about bcg and the benefits of a nickle boron of titanium. I have never run anything but mil spec for a bcg. Lets hear what you like about yours.
Thanks

Unless you're setting up for a competition gun, stick with what works - mil-spec "full-auto profile" carriers work perfectly fine and is what I and many others run in everything. You won't get any sort of noticable difference with a carrier that costs two or three times more.

I've got a Spikes nickle boron BCG that I've used a bit, but generally it's my spare. It's easy to clean but so are others.

If you're like me and not running a ton of classes or pewing for a living then it probably doesn't matter. Get what makes you happy and don't look back. I'd still make sure my HD AR had something like Colt/BCM/Daniel Defense/Geissele/LMT.

Just ordered my first upgraded BCG last week, it's got the "DLC" or Diamond Like Coating.

Would a normal BCG work longer than I will, probably. I read all about the lower friction coefficient, the extra hardness scale points and unscratchable finish, but really it just came down to wanting something a bit nicer for this build, and for not that much more $.

I tried the AIM Surplus NiB. Discolored with use and carbon build-up was not "wipe off" as claimed, even after wiping with CLP. Gave it to my nephew for his pew pew pew use.

Picked up a Toolcraft NiB from RighttoBear.com. OMG. Super slick and truly wipe off with a little CLP. Lifetime guarantee. On boring Saturdays in front of the TV, I pull out a metal polish and do a final wipe. Makes the carrier look like new.

I now run Toolcraft NiB in my ARs.

Milspec will be just fine. What you need is a spare bolt. Anything beyond that is personal preference and how much money you want to spend. My most fancy is a SRC XPB.

The problem I see with the NiB is it is mostly lower end/cheaper BCG's using them. They do not have things like Sprinco enhanced extractor springs, correct carrier key screws, are not individual HPT/MPI, etc. There are more dimensional issues with NiB than any other treatment or coating, resulting false torque values on the carrier key screws ultimately leading to gas leaking issues and short stroking problems. It can also screw up the firing pin protrusion and make the bolt fit too tightly into the barrel extension/chamber. They also do not hold lubrication like the porous phosphate finish does, but rather is whisks it away. Increased hardness is not necessarily a good thing on a AR bolt, with hardness come embrittlement, the result is sheared locking lugs and cracked bolts at the cam pin hole. I've also seen NiB flake off.

Like I said, you'll never find one in my guns. The "easier cleaning" juice isn't worth the squeeze IMO.

Last Edited:
The QPQ nitride finish on the Radian and the KVP AR9 BCG I have are nice.
After quite a bit of use they still look pretty much new.
Cleanup is nice, especially for the AR9 which is a filthy beast to begin with.

Both were solid upgrades from the PSA BCG for me.

I used a Cryptic Coatings BCG on my suppressed 300BLK SBR. Did I need it? No. I had some extra cash and decided to try it. I don't know if it was worth the price, but shooting with a can, I clean it completely except for the backside of the bolt past the rings with a rag, no solvent needed. It's more of a convenience than anything else.

A well staked plain Jane BCG is all you really need.

I have a handful of ARs. All were completely reliable until I started swapping out BCGs and lighter triggers. I had one set up with a Tool Craft Nib. It had been fine for years until recently it start having FTF. I wiped it down including the firing pin. It wasn't too dirty but I stuck in another BCG from a different rifle I was shooting. It ran fine since. I haven't had a chance to check out the suspect one yet. Not claiming it was the Tool Craft because I believe they make a lot parts other companies sell under their own name. Just saying what happened.

Here's a couple of interesting videos showing an Anderson BCG after 200 rounds vs Daniel Defense after 7k rounds.

That is really interesting! It never dawned on me how much the bolt and carrier, insides of the AR 15, had in common with the workings of a combustion, piston engine. I'll have a different mind set when cleaning those dirty things here after.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top