JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,
Looking to purchase an upper, however it does not come with a BCG. Could anyone suggest a good BCG under $200? I have read about LMT's being a good price and of quality. Also any suggestions on chrome/d parts. Longevity, cleanliness, etc. I'm not a competetive shooter or anything special. I'm just looking for a BCG that would last me years. Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

<broken link removed>

Top quality BCG for $139.95. I wouldn't bother with chroming it, it doesn't seem likely to help much. Also, the gas key and carrier are already chrome-lined.
BCM said:
BCM&#174; (MPI) complete bolt carrier group is fully assembled.

Bolt carrier group (auto version) for your AR15, M16, or M4. Parkerized exterior and chrome lined inside carrier. Machined to USGI specifications. This M16/M4 carrier includes the proper Mil-Spec gas key. Gas key is chrome lined and heat treated per GI specifications. Gas key is secured to carrier via USGI domestic mfg Grade 8 fasteners and properly staked per Mil-Specs. These properly hardened parts insure a strong staking and proper gas system functioning.
The bolt assembly is machined from the correct Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158&#174; steel, shot peened for increased strength, includes tool steel machined extractor and ejector, BCM Extractor Spring, and is HPT (High Pressure Tested) and MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected).

Features

* Milspec Carpenter No. 158&#174; steel
* HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
* MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
* Shot Peened Bolt
* Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
* Chrome Lined Gas Key
* Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
* Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
* Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
* Tool Steel Extractor
* BCM Extractor Spring
* Black Extractor Insert
* Mil-Spec Crane O-Ring
Pretty much perfect as-is I think.

Because I am cheap and not some spec-ops couch ninja, I grabbed a complete BCG from J & S gun parts at the last expo show. I think it was only $100. Gas key was staked and it has worked flawlessly for the last 200 or so rounds I have put through it. Time will tell, but with my slight firearms A.D.D. I doubt it will see more than 2k through it.

I hope this isnt a stupid ? but how do you know if the headspace is correct if you dont have the BCG it was assembled with?:huh:

That is not a stupid question, it would be a concern on many other guns. AR-15s in particular are supposed to be self headspacing so you *probably* don't have to worry about it. Headspacing issues with ARs are very rare.

I would get go / no-go guages juuuuust to be sure. Or bring it in to a competent gunsmith to take a look at it. They shouldn't charge more than $20-30 for the service.

why?

the quality of a BCG is in the steel type used, testing procedures, grain structure, subsurface treatments... all of which is invisible to the naked eye.

There are some things you can see immediately like, does it have correct headspace, is the gas key staked properly, is the firing pin fully shrouded (standard on M16 BCGs, but not on all semi-auto only BCGs), is the extractor spring black, etc. and some things that should be mentioned in advertising like is it individually magnetic particle tested, is it shot-peened, and so on.

There are some things you can see immediately like, does it have correct headspace, is the gas key staked properly, is the firing pin fully shrouded (standard on M16 BCGs, but not on all semi-auto only BCGs), is the extractor spring black, etc. and some things that should be mentioned in advertising like is it individually magnetic particle tested, is it shot-peened, and so on.

i guess you got me... but that wasn't my point. my point was to express that a statement of "it looks good," tells us absolutely nothing, and that looking alone doesn't tell you it's a quality bolt.

Get a JP LMOS
the finish the bolts have makes them slick enough you barely have to lube them and they clean up by just wiping off the residue. Also the complete JP operating system runs smoother than any of the competitors. There is good reason that the majority of 3 gun shooters choose JP.

Get a BCM and some Slip 2000 EWL. Spend the rest on ammo to shoot it. :s0155: No need to spend the extra $$$ on a fail zero or other coated BCG.

Now if you're shooting corrosive ammo, I would say it might be worth the money. But if all you're shooting is regular .223/5.56, just stick with a BCM BCG.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top