JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ahaha! noticed my thread isn't in that list :D

But I didn't ask questions or post my full build plan either :D It has changed here and there, but overall has remained the same. Rail got a couple inches longer due to availability and a deal that couldn't be passed up, upper receiver changed because well: who can turn down a free forged upper?! Barrel changed once because rainier didn't offer a carbine gas system 5.56 stainless steel 16" M4 barrel, so went to blackhole weaponry for that. Trigger in the build has changed a few times but is now very firm on what I have chosen for it, original BCG I decided on changed because of cost. Decided against stainless and changed to nickel boron instead because it comes with a lifetime warranty and is 1/2 the cost...can't go wrong there.

Going to be a fun gun when completed.

I want to buy a stripped AR lower. Can someone recommend a good brand and a place to obtain one in Oregon.

Rainier Arms, Spikes Tactical, pretty much any of them that are NOT poly lowers... If it's aluminum and milspec then it should be good to go.

You will need to have an FFL transfer the stripped lower if a local gunshop does not carry stripped lowers in your area...

I picked up my rainier stripped lower from rainier arms directly. They have a pretty nice and very busy retail shop there in Auburn.

To the op here is my suggestion

buy a budget build either a kit or complete and build up . The popularity of the Ar15 rifle is that it can become a hobby as well as a sport.

After you get one shoot it see how much you like shooting it . If you do you will want to upgrade say you want it to be more accurate so you buy a better barrel . you feel the need to make it more reliable so you upgrade to special coated bolt carrier groups you deside you don't like the trigger pull so you upgrade the trigger decide you want to mount do dads on it make it look cool so you add a rail .

just note with cheaper materials you get what you pay for which means lower quality control and lesser grade materials and finishes. but all are upgradable if need be.

OR

Just buy a complete name brand rifle that has the features you want and in your price range with a warranty that is on sale at the moment .good time to buy right now with the overstocks manufactures are going out and bleming their product so they cut prices to remarkably low with out upsetting those who paid full price

Last Edited:
Yep, asked a million times and answered just as many. And in all honesty for the most part lowers are the same if they are milspec. Though now a days you can do themes on your guns rather than just brands. There are zombie lowers, punisher lowers, pirate lowers, spider lowers, etc...

Just avoid polymer lowers unless you are building a dedicated 22LR gun.

IMHO and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but if I were looking for a range toy then I'd probably get a Bushmaster. To be fair, a range toy is all a lot of people want.

I'll be happy to discuss this further tkdguy (or any one else) "offline". Just PM me.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Colt 6920 traditional vs. a Colt 6920 Socom at attractive prices. So, I think I will purchase the Socom since my opportunity is to get this one because it is very nicely discounted and close in price to the 6920 traditional. There is less than a $100 difference between the two. I have eliminated the Smith Wesson Sport and the SW ar 15 type which is almost identical to the 6920 traditonal but would cost me more than the traditional. The 6920 tradtional. I'm thinking this is a good decision?

I have the opportunity to purchase a Colt 6920 traditional vs. a Colt 6920 Socom at attractive prices. So, I think I will purchase the Socom since my opportunity is to get this one because it is very nicely discounted and close in price to the 6920 traditional. There is less than a $100 difference between the two. I have eliminated the Smith Wesson Sport and the SW ar 15 type which is almost identical to the 6920 traditonal but would cost me more than the traditional. The 6920 tradtional. I'm thinking this is a good decision?

Sounds good to me. Colt is a very good choice for many reasons. It is considered a "top tiered" gun and many consider it the "gold standard".

One of the reasons I went with a top tiered gun is yes, it's a bit more spendy, but I'll be getting it back when I went to sell or trade it. In short, top tiered guns hold their value very well.

Have fun!

Can't go wrong with a colt of any model. I still think the blem Adams Arms piston driven complete rifle for $600 shipped is the best deal around for a higher end complete AR. Should still be available on slick guns

Its a very good decision .

Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense will let you sleep at knight knowing you made a sound purchase. With a little proper comparison and knowing what makes a nice AR Palmetto State armory premium line of AR parts will get you a top of the line rifle for the price of a range toy S@W Bushmaster etc.

I have enjoyed my S&W M&P 15 Sport, and for $599, think I got a good deal on a fine rifle. (Mine is the older 1 in 8 twist 5R rifled barrel, very accurate even with 40 gr bullets). My son sold off his PSA carbine and just took delivery of his new Stag Model 6. It is quite a beast, especially with the new Vortex Viper 6.5-20X scope mounted in the Burris PEPR mount.
(My Model 6 arrives next week, scope and mount are already here waiting for it). It anyone has any load suggestion, I would love to hear them. I figured we will break the barrels in with some factory Federal, Fiocchi and Remington ammo, and then try some handloads with Varget, H-4895 and IMR-4064. I also have some Benchmark, TAC, Accurate 2015, and IMR-8208 on hand to try. I haven't done much "heavy metal" loading in the .223, since my other .223 bolt guns are 1 in 12 twist, and have focused the 40 to 55 gr bullets up to now.

Palmetto State Armory has some good rifles for relatively cheap. The specs are comparable to high end rifles, IMO.

I'd personally look at:
BCM
LMT
Colt
PSA
DD

My PSA 16" carbine gas specs are as follows:
FN made chrome lined 4150 barrel. MP inspected. 1:7 twist
Full auto carrier, shrouded firing pin, chrome lined, gas key well staked
158c bolt w/ O ring and black insert. MPI/HPT tested
F marked front sight post
T marked rails
M4 feed ramps
Castle nut staked

Didn't like steel at first but after adding an H buffer, Sprinco red action spring, and BCM 5 coil extractor spring it runs steel just fine. It's always been flawless with brass.

Last Edited:
I want to buy a stripped AR lower. Can someone recommend a good brand and a place to obtain one in Oregon.

It's been a while since you asked, but Curt's Discount Shooters Supply ( <broken link removed> ) is where I go and HIGHLY recommend them.

I just bought the majority of parts for two new builds from them, and not only did they have every specific part I wanted, but came very close to internet prices. For the two rifles, when you factor in shipping, I paid about $50 over a combination of Brownell's and Midway (neither had all the parts I selected, but Curt's did)

I also got a lot of great input on my receiver selection, since they build and sell their own rifles as well. They definitely did not steer me to the most expensive part, but the part that best met my needs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top