JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
none of my AR barrels are chrome lined. chrome lining works well, and has for many years... but, with anything, IMO, stuff gets improved over the years and there are better options out there.

The stainless steel with melonite sounds like a good combo. Seems like PSA has some good prices for lower cost nitride, melonite or chrome lined barrels.

The only CL barrels I've seen from PSA is the CHF FN barrels. Those aren't in the lower cost realm though.

I've been looking through their offerings for a barrel to go with a stock I have.
I was going to rebarrel, but have decided to keep that gun the way it is and just build another.

I'm thinking the 18" .223 Wylde SS rifle length upper assy is gonna be delivered pretty soon.
Pretty good price at $280. $70 more and get one with a NiB BCG

The only CL barrels I've seen from PSA is the CHF FN barrels. Those aren't in the lower cost realm though.

I've been looking through their offerings for a barrel to go with a stock I have.
I was going to rebarrel, but have decided to keep that gun the way it is and just build another.

I'm thinking the 18" .223 Wylde SS rifle length upper assy is gonna be delivered pretty soon.
Pretty good price at $280. $70 more and get one with a NiB BCG

You could check Delton . I've had good luck with their stuff, and have a CL 16" barrel on one of the ARs.

I ordered a PSA 18" CHF mid-length 1/7" twist upper for my next build. Not as cheap as the melonite upper. Added a Nickle Boron BCG as well.

I have cleaned my melonite barrel for my new rifle. I just used an Otis cleaning kit and used bore swabs only, I have some copper bore brushes for my chrome line barrels but I have ordered nylon bore brush for my melonite barrel.

none of my AR barrels are chrome lined. chrome lining works well, and has for many years... but, with anything, IMO, stuff gets improved over the years and there are better options out there.
Chrome lining exists for full auto, as it handles heat and corrosion better. Stellite was used originally but then replaced by chrome lining due to stellite being more expensive and harder to work with.

Nitride is not bad, but for those purposes it is not better.

Not to high-Jack the thread but what's the deal with CHF barrels? I understand the process and and reasoning behind it but why is it that prices double on those barrels? Aren't they technically supposed to be cheaper to produce since there is less machining involved?

And on a side note; I've been looking into a 9" 300 Blk build (suppressed and supersonic) and can't decide whether a CHF barrel is worth the extra dough. I have a 10.3 5.56 CHF build and it's excellent but is it necessary?

Not to high-Jack the thread but what's the deal with CHF barrels? I understand the process and and reasoning behind it but why is it that prices double on those barrels? Aren't they technically supposed to be cheaper to produce since there is less machining involved?

And on a side note; I've been looking into a 9" 300 Blk build (suppressed and supersonic) and can't decide whether a CHF barrel is worth the extra dough. I have a 10.3 5.56 CHF build and it's excellent but is it necessary?

I don't know the specifics behind the actual reasons why chf and chrome line barrels are better. However, most modern military's seem to think it's important so I follow in their footsteps. Do you want a range toy or a battle rifle is the deciding factor between going chf/ chrome lined and "other" in my opinion. I've got two ARs with CHF/ chrome lined barrels and an SR25 with a stainless barrel.

Chrome lining adds to the durability of rifling , chrome lined chamber decreases fouling and malfunctions. Big difference between M-16 and M-16A1

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top