JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who likes ARs here? Let's talk AR........

Old SGW here, great rifle (carbine:), runs like a top. 16 inch fluted, RRA NM 2-stage FCG makin' it real sweet, bright white light up front and red dot on top. Perfect general purpose long gun.

What do ya got? What do you like about it?

To me, 5.56/AR platform makes all kinds of sense. Ammo's readily available, relatively cheap, light and compact (read carryable!), same goes for mags and parts--they're everywhere and inexpensive, relatively.

Yep, great platform, will run and run and run if loaded with good ammo.........don't need to clean them that often either.

coltm4.jpg

I've been known to build one from time to time but I work in a gunshop part time too. I use one quite frequently. Great platform that has recieved a lot of bad hype. The problems have more or less disappeared now at least in the civilian versions.

Mine is a PWA Commando Pre Ban 16" flattop. It has a Magpul M-93 Carbine stock, front and rear BUIS (YHM front, GG&G back), a match trigger, an aluminum quad rail w/ a vfg etc... I love it, although I am not an "AR is the best mbr in the world" kind of guy. I like AK's, FAL's, etc... It's a pretty sweet platform. I hav shot about 200 rounds through it (wolf only) and no FTF's, FTE's, FT-whatevers. Very accurate, it just needs occasional cleaning. I clean mine after shooting everytime, but if you clean it, it will work. Oh, and .223/5.56 HP's will stop any person. Have I shot someone? No. But I've shot 1/2" steel, and it goes straight through. I get frustrated by ammo debates. .223 or 5.56 is a man stopper. The army uses ball FMJ ammo, so it doesn't expand, and it goes right through the attacker. HP's will stay in the attacker most of the time, and they will create a much larger hole. There are at least 3 FBI reports online that speak about penetration and wound cavity as the most important factor in stopping an attacker. The .223 does this.

I bought the Bushmaster we couldn't own as soon as the gun ban expired. Shooting it today. Put a new scope mount on the handle. I was talked into the A2 and would probably been happier with a flat top. It's nice, but not as accurate as my Savage 10FP in 223.

Flat tops have a place but most of the ones I build and or use are A2s. There is this craze going on when it comes to rails of all sorts that I simply dont understand. Everybody wants to turn a perfectly adequate rifle into a "swiss army knife". There are a few items that arent that obnoxious but the trend to fill up all the rails on your four rail free float tube is nuts!

I keep finding my way back to the AR-10s every time I window shop on the internet; but my armory plans wouldn't be complete without a solid 5.56 in it. I'm not a fan of going full on "mall ninja" with the gear, either. A telescoping stock, a fast medium-range optic, and possibly a light are pretty much all I'd want.

DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA... all good choices.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top