JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I belong to one gun club in NW Washington ( The best- Custer) and today I went to another and shot with my daughter at one near Seattle and I was amazed. I think all I need to do to survive the apocalypse is to make a 40 yard shot with any weapon. I am usually very alone shooting my AR at 200 yds. I have to laugh when I see people shooting AR and AK style weapons at the 7,15 and 25 yard line and then brag about their groups. ( yes I know you battlesight zero and AR at 25 yds) but I am talking about people who continually shoot at the 7. One guy had a FN assault rifle at the 7 yd line.
Today when I went shooting, one guy was shooting his AK at the 25 and his buddy was spotting his shot with a spotting scope. He couldnt hit paper!!! Damn gun! Finally the range officer fired the weapon and said looks fine to me. Do people think every shot will be like the walking dead, 5 ft?
Good grief people prepare!!!!! Practice out to 200 yards ( or more) and the 25 yard shots will come. Who cares what most doofuses think about no tight group at the 200. Most of them are to lazy to walk that far and I am 55, so if I dont shoot like a sniper I can still hit their lard asses at 400 yards. I am military and LEO trained. most of them learn their skills from medal of honor video games. Sorry for the diatribe, but good grief, a 300 yd shot is not much to former military, so if you dont want me to be eating your good stored up food, you better wake up!

That was not meant as a sneer but a wake up call to folks who want to survive the comng storm. I believe I have paid more than my share of taxes, worked 24/7 during high crisis events and been injured severly in the line of duty. Also lard *** is not a derogatory term for fat people. It is a military term for people who wont get up and move.

if you can't hit paper at 25 you need lessons and perhaps new glasses. Guess the guy is one of those who can't hit the broad side of a square barn from the inside with all doors closed. I've seen several who should have been proficient that could have used some more practice. A few years back I was shooting a monthly PPC match and one night the local SWAT team decided to show up. I figured they should have ended up near the top of the pack - one guy ended up about 12 in the pack of about 40 shooters, another about 2 below him - the rest were in the bottom of the pack. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here - just pointing out that even professionals could use more practice. At least they were mostly on paper even at the 25.

LOL. Nice rant. My thoughts are that if a person can't hit paper at 25 yards, they have no business trying it at 200 yards. Start at 25, get it dialed and move to longer yardage. Maybe need to get a laser boresighter to start. I've never used one, but could see it being cheaper than ammo for some. Then practice practice and practice some more.

Swedish K, you are totally correct. Many cops only pull their guns at qualification. Many of our officers were terrified of their weapon and could barely shoot. Back in the old days when I started, some officers carried their weapon empty so that no one could use it against them. I have also seen SWAT teams where they picked by the good ol boys club. I understand military and cops on average are no better than anyone else, but for survival it is an individual thing to know what we are doing. Not picking on anyone person just observing what I see at the range. There are many dedicated shooters at all ranges, but many of these "survivalists" at the range think having a gun is enough. Thanks for listening to my rant, guess I am getting old and cantankerous.

Navvet thanks for your service
When the price of ammo went up I bought a 22LR conversion for my Glock I have saved 100s of dollars over the cost of the conversion and stay in practice weekly with 22lr pistol and carbine
I shoot my Uberti 45colt at a propane tank 65 yards distant and hit it consistantly, now that I have trimmed and painted the frnt sight I should do even better.

Wish I could do the same with my Glock but those sights,,,,,,

For me rifle shooting starts at 250 yards and I will soon have a 400 yard range completed after that I might locate an 800 yard range.
In training a rifleman needs to hit where he intends, not "close enough"
range finders,optics and precision rifles are a great help in achieving those 2" groups at 400yds which is a good indicator of what a rifleman can do at 800yds.
In the field is a totaly different situation from shooting off a bench, which is why it is vital to train intensely.

Kenno I wish we could find somewhere to shoot longer but not in NW Washington. I think they are much gun friendlier in the Eastern part especially with such open spaces. I want to move to the Spokane/Courtelane Area but the wife says no way. Oh well

Love your comments NavVet, Thank you. I spent some time in Australia and used to go to the Belmont gun range in Queensland. If you couldn't hit an empty .22 Lr casing off the target holder cross bar for 100 yds with a .22 Lr rifle we would razz you pretty hard! Once you got that down, printing a nice 22-250 group at 200 & 300 yards was pretty easy... I'm talking groups you can cover with a coin. I agree with Kenno & NWCid the .22 practice is worth every penny saved!
P.S. I got my wife to move to the Spokane/Couer d'Alene area, it is a hard sell. HOWEVER once you get here the conservatism in the community is like taking in deep lung fulls of fresh mountain air, it's good for the soul.

I totally agree with OP. It wasn't until I competed in silhouette, shooting at targets as far as 200 meters I realized how tough it is and how much I needed to get better. Competing regularly to is the best thing I know to hone your skills.

NWCID - Believe 300 yd 22LR shots are called lobs - What is the drop - something like 10 ft?

I think it depends on your perspeective of what and where it will happen.
MAny people believe it will be close quarters action (< 50 yds) ( That woud be more of the City dwellers) - I bet most will be 100 yds or less. Others think it will be 200- 400 yd shots.

I know my rifle is zero'd at 50 yds and 200 yds. I am dialed in up to 400 yards. But got to tell you - these eyes are not going to see much at 400 yds. Closer than that I have my Burris Fast Find set up for 25-30 yards - close quarter shooting

So the goal should be to practice at all distances - know your gun

NWCID - Believe 300 yd 22LR shots are called lobs - What is the drop - something like 10 ft?

Pretty close. But when I can make pretty consistent hits on a 10"x10" plate (actually slightly smaller, railroad plates) I think it counts. With the silencer it is; Dial up BDC, squeeze, click, 1...2...3... ting, chamber another and do it again. It is a lot of fun.

My greatest desire is to have a silenced 10-22 like I had in OZ, they are great for small game!
I found that the investment in 22LR conversions WITH a decent trigger upgrade is one of the best investments I have made in the past 5 years for keeping general skills intact.
I Know that 22LR is Not like full power service ammo but I can set-up a run and gun course for 22LR far easier/far safer than I can for 223.
You still have to use your muscles/heart/eyes/mind just like with a 223 and I get to experiment with LBE load outs at the same time

Kenno I wish we could find somewhere to shoot longer but not in NW Washington. I think they are much gun friendlier in the Eastern part especially with such open spaces. I want to move to the Spokane/Courtelane Area but the wife says no way. Oh well

Theres a half mile range that I shoot at where the old man who owns it only charges $5 a day to use. I hit the 460 yd buffalo silhouette with my AR every time. Sorry to rub it in. Its a great place to live.

Today when I went shooting, one guy was shooting his AK at the 25 and his buddy was spotting his shot with a spotting scope. He couldnt hit paper!!! ....

Good grief people prepare!!!!! Practice out to 200 yards ( or more) and the 25 yard shots will come.

Your logic is about as bass-akwards as it gets.
If you cant hit paper at 25 yards you will just be wasting lead at 200.

It's good to know that your military training prepared you to be a keyboard commando instead of offering help to an obviously new shooter.
You spent a lot of time in the kitchen, didnt you?

I take my gear out and shoot at 25 to 100 just for fun and I'm not real serious I just plink a lot. Then I go shoot from 200 to 600 and do the whole zen focus sniper routine. It's all in how the mood strikes me, People see the hobby in different ways.

Your logic is about as bass-akwards as it gets.
If you cant hit paper at 25 yards you will just be wasting lead at 200.

It's good to know that your military training prepared you to be a keyboard commando instead of offering help to an obviously new shooter.
You spent a lot of time in the kitchen, didnt you?

Somebody had a bad day at work? sniffle sniffle;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top