JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
picture of rifle?
20210118_074303.jpg
New barrel?
Nope, same barrel as before.
Do you have iron sights on your AR so you can test it without the optic first?
I didn't have a set with me, it would have helped narrow things down a bit.
How was the windage?
Windage got walked-in within the parameters of the Spitfire optic... groups were pretty decent (for me), just low, low, low.
It is either a problem with optic or mount or the barrel installation with the free float tube. Is optic mounted on upper receiver rail. Did you follow proper procedure with barrel install, specifically proper torque? What sighting system was utilized before and was poi/ accuracy reasonable before changes?
Optic is on the upper reciever rail. This gun had a Vortex Strikefire ll, A2 FSP, and MBUIS rear. It's also worn a MaTech rear sight in the past (w the A2 FSP)
laser bore sighters
Recommend one? I went down this road a few mos ago but never found one that l had confidence in. I'd prefer to buy someplace other than Amazon.
20 MOA mounts on backwards?
I don't think so... is it?
If your ALG requires timing, make sure the timing shims are on the muzzle side of the barrel flange.
Good questions about the ALG install since it's a bit different than most tubes. Knowing myself and how I get (l sometimes "improvise"), l watched the installation video several times (hosted by ol Bill Geissele hisself) and followed the written instructions to a T with the knowledge that screwing it up could net me all kinds of problems... like this. That doesn't mean l didn't screw it up, just that l was very careful to avoid it. After I try everything else you guys have suggested, if nothing bears fruit, then I'll take it back apart, order new shims, and start over.
yay.
Do you have iron sights on your AR so you can test it without the optic first?
I'll do that next time l take it out. Yesterday l was a little overexcited about getting out and shooting with my boys... no, l didn't wet my pants, but l DID pack up my stuff in a hurry to get out the door and forgot to put a set in my range bag. Ben Franklin was right: Haste does make waste.
The day wasn't a bummer... sunny and warm enough to be oot and aboot without a jacket. Plenty of guns to shoot and we all had a great time, l didn't let this thing spoil my (or their) day.
But now, in light of the AAR, I'd like to get this pig somewhat dialed-in before l deplete my meager ammo stash... remember back in the old days (a year ago) when you could just go buy more?
Yeah.. that was fun.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I'll get back to work on this thing ASAP. 20210118_074233.jpg 20210118_074541.jpg

Hmm.. Sounds like at that, you have an optic misalignment or you have a barrel that is not mated properly to the upper.

Do yourself a favor and mount your optic to your handguard. Loosen optic, see if it rocks front to back. If it does.... hey, what do ya know. You tightened it down canted. and it shouldn't do that.

Every thing has been said, I'll add a simple thing Ive witnessed someone at the range mess up. They were adjusting the scope backwards. They would shoot, need to adjust up, adjust down and shoot again. Maybe it is as simple as this?

I would factory zero the scope and double check the installation of everything. Try again.

Everything looks and sounds copacetic with your mods. I would put previous optic back on and see if poi is still fubar'd. If it returns to normal you know it is new optic/mount. If it shoots bad with old optic then go after new hand guard/barrel install. Definitely make sure nothing is contacting barrel except barrel nut.

Last Edited:
Is your gas block making contact with the rail or some attachment? That will definitely throw the accuracy into a tail spin.
The gasblock has a good 1/8" of daylight all the way around it... tough to get a picture, but l did just check it at your suggestion. Thank you.
What brand of duct tape did you use to attach the optic? The cheap stuff always shifts.
There actually IS some tactical duct tape (Gorilla tape) on the gun... l always put a small square on the shell deflector, behind the ejection port. It helps keep the dings away.
:s0059:

If it shoots good with old optic then go after new hand guard/barrel install.
Wouldn't the opposite be true? If the old optic fixes the issue, then the new optic/mount would be suspect, right...?

BTW, the Spitfire was bought used, from a member here. Come to think of it, so was the handguard... and the B.A.D. lever... maybe the trigger too. Love this place.

My thinking is if poi goes back to normal with old optic then barrel handguard install is fine and problem is with new optic or mount. But yes I said it all f-ed up lol.

They were adjusting the scope backwards. They would shoot, need to adjust up, adjust down and shoot again. Maybe it is as simple as this?
HA... you actually made me go check. The sun was pretty glare-y and I didn't have my Dollar Store reading glasses so it was almost impossible to read the etching on the turrets. I thought I was getting it right... that's embarrassing.
I need to remember to bring my glasses. Everywhere

Last Edited:
The groups were consistent (such as they were) and function was 100%. No jams, FTE, FTF.

It won't be the barrel if the above is true. You need to bore sight. If your eyes suck have someone else do it.

1. Use google earth (while it's still available) or go pace out 200 yards from your living room.
2. Find the best aim point you can at that 200 yard mark.
3. Break the upper from the lower.
4. Remove BCG and charging handle.
5. Find a good rest and lay the upper in it targeted to your aim point.
6. Look through the barrel. You want the bright bore to have a perfectly even ring around your chosen aim point which will be perfectly centered in the F.O.V. (hole at the end of the barrel)
7. Once centered look through your optic (correctly mounted per manufacturers torque specs if you can get them) WITHOUT MOVING THE UPPER AT ALL.
8. Make elevation and windage adjustments to your optic.
9. Repeat 6-8 until your optic and barrel are aligned.
10. Enjoy not wasting tons of time trying to get on paper.

You need to bore sight.
I was just doing this, albeit at only about 20 yds (for starters), sighted through the barrel (from the kitchen island, using my wife's potholders as "sandbags") to the top of a fence post and confirmed one thing: the optic was CRAZY high at zero. I'm not sure how it got so out of whack... something l did, I'm sure. No fault of the sight.
This time though, l managed to get it adjusted down to poa/poi which will get me on paper..... I'll mess w it a little more later when l have more time to play.
I also think I'll be investing in one of these:
Sightmark, pretty decent.

... gonna come in handy since I've got another carbine which has the old Strikefire ll (still unfired since the install) and a .223 Wylde build coming in right behind it (started when .223 Wylde was still a thing... procrastination).

I should have done this from the start.

It could be the aforementioned things that are wrong. If you had a different rifle to swap optics with. I have a laserlyte bore sight. I tend to zero everything around 25-37 yards. I have done the 25, 50, 100 etc and prefer to figure out that I want my rounds to rise no more than 3" and drop no more than 3".

I'll add a simple thing Ive witnessed someone at the range mess up. They were adjusting the scope backwards. They would shoot, need to adjust up, adjust down and shoot again. Maybe it is as simple as this?
So this is a very valid thing too.

My grandpa keeps going through rings and scopes because they aren't adjusting. So they take the scope and try to bore align it. It's 10" low at 25 yards. They move the cross hairs "up" but it's bottomed out no matter how far they adjust. I've asked them to bring the rifle over so I can fix what they are doing and properly level it. So far they have decided that countless trips and frustrations are better.

Most don't realize that when doing a boresight to bring the SCOPE to the barrel, you have to adjust BACKWARDS. Only if you are bringing the BARREL to the scope do you follow the adjustments on the optic.

Good catch Reno.

HA... you actually made me go check. The sun was pretty glare-y and I didn't have my Dollar Store reading glasses so it was almost impossible to read the etching on the turrets. I thought I was getting it right... that's embarrassing.
I need to remember to bring my glasses. Everywhere
When you said you ran out of adjustment and were low at very close range, I can only think you are at the opposite side of the adjustment range. IE you probably needed to adjust in the other direction and kept going lower and lower instead of up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top