JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just bought an AR with the Tactical Solutions upper in the classifieds here, after a couple of years of using the Ciener .22 conversion kit in my Stag Model 2. The swapping back and forth is easy and the kit is accurate enough for plinking in the fast-for-.22LR 1/9 twist of the Stag upper. What got me wanting to upgrade was 1) the conversion bolt would start having FTF/FTE issues after a hundred rounds or so with bulk ammo and so required frequent cleaning and 2) the POI is different with .22 than .223 so I had to change out or adjust optics as part of the switchover. With the dedicated upper I can set it and forget it.

The conversion kit does what it does well though. I'll be listing mine in the classifieds soon in case you're interested.

Here is the Chiappa M4-22 complete upper half.

This is the same upper that is on the VK22 .22lr that fisherman's marine and outdoor had on sale. For those that missed that sale, this is the same upper.
I was fortunate to get one of the VK22 AR's and they are a very sweet little rifle.

M4 Conversion Kit - Rifles - Cartridge Firearms - Products

And here are the Magazines that go with it or any other .22 conversion.

M4 Conversion Kit - Rifles - Cartridge Firearms - Products

Like others have said, a conversion kit will work fine, but remember the .223 is slightly larger than that of a .22, so therefore when slinging the lead of the .22lr, you will have to clean at your upper a lot more than if you just used the .223 rounds.
Therefore, I believe it would be wiser to get a dedicated .22 upper. Again, this is just my opinion.

Stay Safe.

Is there a preferred maker of a 22 cal. upper, for the AR?
Or, is it a waste of time and money?
<broken link removed> is the leader in 22LR uppers for the AR. It's the upper I'd get. I'd also spring for the bolt hold open option.
Dedicate upper will be a little more accurate.

If you go with the conversion, take it out and shoot some .223 to keep the gas tube cleaned out.

If I were you, I'd get upper than a kit. Because over time shooting .22LR on AR-15 barrel will damage it from heavy lead and copper fouling.