JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm debating wether I should get a full quad rail and replace my handguards or just keep my handguards. I heard the rails would add more weight to the AR while since the handguard is plastic, it would be lighter. Are there any advantages of having standard handguards instead of a railed one? Other then being able to have a VFG.

The weight of the rails would depend on the brand and model of the rail.

The advantage of rails is to be able to attach different items to the gun. VFG is just one of many things you can attach.

I run Daniel Defence free-floats on one of my carbine legnth M4geries, and on my one mid-length M4gery as well. I have another carbine length M4gery and a rifle length AR15A2 and these two have the standard round handguards, I don't notice any real difference between them all.

Like has been said, it will depend on the make, and material used.

It depends on what type of firearm you have, what you plan on doing with the rifle and your budget. I overpaid for rails on a post-ban AR-15 back in 2003...now she has the original handguards on and I kill coyotes with her.

Is this a 16" AR-15 with a pencil barrel that you plan to "run and gun" with...or is this a 20" bull barreled AR you plan on killing Coyotes with?

What are you going to do with the rails?

If you are planning on kitting out some high-speed SHTF carbine with VFGs and lights and lasers, then sure,you probably need the rails. Otherwise, go with what you like.

I like all of my AR's to have the same equipment in the same places. I can't (or won't) afford to buy a quad rail for each rifle. I've put $500 dollars of crap on a $450 AK before and all that made it was heavy. I've learned my lesson. Go light, Go simple, and keep all your batteries the same size. I now have only a light on my foregrip and an eotech on my flat top. The light by the way is electrical taped to the fore. It's hobo but it works.

I put a Troy free floater on mine,with 2-3 " rails you can put wherever you want. Just enough to mount a light or laser. More comfortable to the hands also.
I have one on the bottom for a bipod and three others in the drawer if I need to mount a light for night varmint hunting

I have a 10" Midwest Industries SS (super slim) on mine. its smoth, slotted, and has holes to mount segments on the sides. the top rail is cut to make a monolithic type rail up top. It weighs 8 ounces. I use a low profile gas block under the rail. It weighs less than the original fixed front sight base assembly and handguards. For what I wanted to do with my rifle, it was the perfect solution. I put a Redfield 3-9 scope on top, with a set of offset BUIS. My rifle was made for two uses in mind - killing coyotes and orther varmints, along with serving as a defensive firearm (hence the irons.) What I wanted to do, and what you want to do might be different, and probably is.

Ditto, depends on how much junk you want to put on it. Personally i like to keep it trimmed down. Nice magpul handguard and fore grip with a light mount.

Just don't be that guy that gets the biggest quad rail you can find and feel the need to take up all the space with "tactical" attachments.

You doesn't need a blender, sluppie makers, a full spotlight, or other stupid junk.

Ditto, depends on how much junk you want to put on it. Personally i like to keep it trimmed down. Nice magpul handguard and fore grip with a light mount.

Just don't be that guy that gets the biggest quad rail you can find and feel the need to take up all the space with "tactical" attachments.

You doesn't need a blender, sluppie makers, a full spotlight, or other stupid junk.

Can I at least leave the tactical (black) coffee maker, bottle opener, spork, and blue tooth on it?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top