JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
more parts were ordered on the 4th!

ordered two magpul gen2 pmags, a bravo company mil-spec buffer tube assembly, and a magpul mil-spec CTR stock in black.

also last week I got a hogue grip for it.

all parts I picked up were on sale :D

Last Edited:
I've never built an AR or owned one. What are you guessing the whole build will cost you?

Is this something that you did for increased quality or for cost savings, or both?

Thanks! And it's a sweet looking setup you've got going.

I've never built an AR or owned one. What are you guessing the whole build will cost you?

Is this something that you did for increased quality or for cost savings, or both?

I cannot speak for Mr. Smith, but it my case it started off as a cost savings, and then a thirst for more knowledge. I was lucky enough to be taught very a very qualified Ar builder, and IMHO the builds I have done will stack up against any factory build. However, having said that, the reality is that no matter who you are, or what you can do, factory built weapons will have a better resale. That is unless the build in question is exactly what a person wants and is willing to pay the premium for it.
The other reality (IMHO) is that Ar's are fairly easy to build, and also fairly dummy proof, so IMO (again) one is not necessarily worth more than the other. That still does not negate the higher resale on Factory units.
YMMV,IMHO,LMAO,Etc......

Right now the total cost of the rifle not counting optics, and not counting tax and shipping costs: ~$1450.

That's counting the parts I have already bought for it at the cost I bought them at + parts I still need for it in my build list at current retail prices. Original cost for this rifle was going to be around $1900 but as you can see that price is down quite a bit due to sales, clearance items, and minor changes like different brand stripped upper because it came free with my barrel, etc...

I suppose you could say I did it for both cheaper + increased quality, but in reality I did it to get exactly what I want from the get go. no buying a rifle and then changing out parts...

I'm building a rifle that is as weather resistant as possible, accurate as possible while remaining standard length, and as reliable as possible.

That said: the upper, lower, and buffer are all 7071 forged mil-spec, the barrel is 416R stainless steel 3 groove poly 1:8 twist rifled M4 profile carbine gas system. 6061 quad rail free floating handguard by DD, fire control group going into it will be a Geissele SSA-E trigger. likely go with a syrac ordinance adjustable gas block as this gun will eventually be suppressed and having control over gas flow in a DI system is both good for keeping the BCG clean, but also for making sure it cycles quietly and reliably with a can on the end of it.

Forward assist and dust cover may or may not be themed, haven't decided yet.
charging handle and charging handle latch will be themed. Already have those in mind lol.

And the bolt carrier group will be the full auto nickel boron match grade BCG from rainier arms. Selected for corrosion resistance, better reliability, and lifetime warranty.

As for resale value? I couldn't care less what it's worth to other people. I'm building the rifle for me, not for someone else. The only person who needs to worry about what it resales for is either my daughter should she choose to not keep it, or the executor of my estate. Either way I will be dead before it leaves my possession.

Thanks btw :) I like how it's turning out so far.

As for intended use: target practice/property defense/SHTF

Already thought about building or buying a second upper for 7.62x39.

Other than the color filling and what not, it will be somewhat similar to my 15-22 but with different optics, stock, and won't have a bi-pod.

In fact I may even take the foregrip off of the 15-22 and put it on the 5.56 once completed.

20140220_123024_zps9d7f4e13.jpg

I still need to do a trigger job on that 15-22. Probably throw a JP trigger spring in there to lighten the trigger pull, and a set screw to adjust the creep out of it. cost me about $12 to make that POS trigger into a lighter trigger without the creep.

That's incredibly well thought out! Kudos for sure:).

I appreciate your time to respond with so much detail, I know typing out long posts for me can be tedious.

This is going to give me something to strive for... I honestly had no interest in AR's till I saw this thread.

Of course I would find one more thing to spend money on lol:confused:

They are like lego's for men :D so many possibilities with the AR platform.

You can build a SHTF gun, a tactical close quarters weapon, a high powered pistol, a knock you on your bubblegum the first shot .50 beowulf, a varmint hunting rifle with a 20"+ barrel, bi-pod, long range optics, a sniper rifle/hunting rifle going to the AR-10 platform with .308/7.62x51. plenty of themed lowers as well if you wanted a themed gun. so many possibilities with it and replacement parts are so easy to come by and almost completely standardized that you can get them from anywhere. only parts not standardized are the piston conversions if you choose to use a piston system instead of a direct impingement system.

Latest progress: The Pmags, buffer assembly, and ctr stock came in today.

Got the grip and safety selector installed, installed the buffer assembly and rear takedown pin, and installed the stock.

20140711_124313_zpsaa332eb6.jpg

lol it's all right there in the picture!

Stripped upper came free with the barrel and both arrived at the same time :D

So it's about 60% done now.

Still need Fire Control Group, Bolt Carrier Group, gas block and gas tube, forward assist and dust cover, trigger guard, and charging handle.

Bought another piece to the puzzle on Saturday!

Rainier Arms was having a cash only tent sale, so I went down there and picked up my nickel boron precision match grade bolt carrier group :D

They had it on sale for $180 out the door. It normally would have cost me $194.95 + tax since RA is a local business only a 30 minute drive away from me.

20140804_082703_zpsd8696896.jpg

20140804_082723_zps3b17cf60.jpg

20140804_082849_zpsf908254d.jpg

ordered vice blocks for the upper and lower to make assembly a bit easier and to allow me to attach the barrel and torque it properly.

I ordered the wrench for the stock as well since it is only on there finger tight right now.

Also picked up the dust cover and forward assist on Saturday. Installed the dust cover already, but am waiting for the vice blocks to show up before I install the forward assist. Driving a drift pin in without the upper being held still seems like an accident waiting to happen...

Yes proper tools are worth there weight. Also saves on foul language and things being tossed about when you f up your new build:D

Looks good for your first one. So whats next....... you cant have just one;)

Yes proper tools are worth there weight. Also saves on foul language and things being tossed about when you f up your new build:D

Looks good for your first one. So whats next....... you cant have just one;)

Yup, proper tools pay for themselves pretty quickly. A lesson learned the hard way...

More progress pics!

Installed and torqued down the barrel, torqued down the buffer tube, installed dust cover, and installed forward assist.

Still need the gas block and gas tube before I can install the DD lite rail 12 hand-guard.

20140917_134047_zps6cb9ba46.jpg
20140917_134120_zps63c6d1a7.jpg

what's left to get:

Charging handle and charging handle latch: likely go with NDZ performance laser engraved handle and tactical latch also laser engraved to go along with the theme
Trigger guard: Spikes billet (even though Magpul's looks the same and is cheaper, Magpul's is plastic, spikes is aluminum)
Fire Control Group: Geissele SSA-E
Gas block: Syrac Ordnance Gen II adjustable SS clamp on .750
Gas tube: Spikes carbine length 304 SS melonited

Flash hider: A2 (already have one that hasn't been on my 15-22 since the day I bought it, might as well use it on the AR-15)

Optics: for now I'll use the iron sights that came on the 15-22 since I have a scope on it and they haven't been on the rifle in a long time. Somewhere down the road when I have more money to throw at it, I'll probably get a EOTech holo and maybe a vortex magnifier to go with it.

I will also be pulling the fore-grip off of the 15-22 to put on the AR-15. The 15-22 already has a bi-pod and I rarely shoot it standing because of the scope.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top