JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it worth my time and effort to convert a DPMS AR-15 in .223 to a .22lr? I see kits all over, but do not know if there is a difference in brands? What will work best in my DPMS? Are they relatively trouble free to install and feed? Just toying with the idea since .22 cal is so much cheaper to practice with. Any advice?? Thank you.:)

No effort at all. Remove the BCG, pop in a .22 kit and your done.

Lots of kits out there now. Stay away from the Ceiner, because the Warranty doesn't exist. Hard to get parts when it breaks too.

Do a search to find out which kit is best. Just don't expect good accuracy from a drop in kit.

They do work but some do have issues getting them back out unless you lightly grease them first. All depends on how often you clean it or switch back and forth. For the extra money a dedicated upper is the better way to go.

No need for a dedicated upper. Save your $$$. Mine was $169 at Cheaper than Dirt. It swaps out in about 30 seconds and works perfectly. It will pay for itself in a brick of ammo. You have to shoot the crap out of it (about 500 rounds) before it will work flawlessly. Lube it, then lube it, then lube it some more. After that, you can train on the same drills with your AR for cents compared to dollars.

I'm really biased against the drop in conversions. I used them in the military (don't know what brand) in an indoor range. The one's I used malfunctioned about every third round, and REALLY dirtied up the host weapon, specially the gas system. I'm sure the problems were mostly because we'd take 6-8 M16's drop the kit in, and then rotate the entire company through the range with the only cleaning being the "spruce up" cleaning to get them to run again. I think this is probably an extreme test of the kits but showed me what the cumulative results of the kits were. Each gun got about 500 rounds of ammo through it in a day. These things were NASTY at the end of the day.

i just purchased the ciener kit about a month ago over 1000 rounds 2 failed to fire 1 failed to eject clean my weapons religiously and use good ammo............it does make cleaning the upper take an extra couple minutes to get all the crap out

They do work but some do have issues getting them back out unless you lightly grease them first. All depends on how often you clean it or switch back and forth. For the extra money a dedicated upper is the better way to go.

American Tactical Imports. Dedicated 22 upper is the way to go. Coctailer can get them for you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top