JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So friends I would like to know what your opinion on these two battle rifles and why? I've owned 2 mini 14's and have shot 1000's of rounds through both without cleaning and then the m1 garand bolts are so awesome. I know its not the most accurate gun at long ranges like the ar 15 but is still a pretty sweet rifle. I've never owned an AR but have shot many and they are awesome but have always been frightened by stories of them jamming and of how hard they are to clean and disassemble. What really is all the hype with the AR? One thing i do love is the accuracy at distance with the AR. All opinions would be great.
Thanks

I own both. The AR is far easier to clean & disassemble. It doesn't jam like "the stories of old." I believe when the original M-16's came out, there were issues, but I heard with the M16A1 models, and later, there wasn't an issue. I never had jamming issues with my M16, in the Army (3 yrs.) or National Guard (4 yrs.), nor did I see any.

I have a mini and an ar. Maybe I am old school, but I much prefer the mini. I like its heft, I like the way the action works, and how the thing feels like a rifle.
That AR is really light, which may be advantageous in combat, but I am not able to hit with it, and the thing sounds like there are springs rattling around all the time in it.

I'll take a mini, because It shoots like I like. Not knocking th ar for other folks, It is a good rifle, just not good for me.

Welcome to the site. I'd certainly choose the AR15 over the Mini 14. Many reasons, but the main ones are parts availability, standardization, weight, accuracy, and reliability.

Thats how I felt about my mini 14, I could put so many rounds down range without ever having a problem with the thing. It just always kept shooting. Like how accurate the ar is at long ranges even with iron sights.

Thanks JoeLink, this sight has proved very useful thus far especially when choosing the right suppressor/silencer for my rifle. Just got to put an awesome swr spectre II on to my ruger 10/22 for messing around at the range. Waiting on my thread adapter for my Walther p22 then out for some more fun. I think I'm gonna go get dpms rfa3-rec Ar-15 to add to my collection just because I've never owned one and they are great guns. I've had the chance to shoot quite a few and never had problems. Just really love my mini. Also was thinking about picking up a Remington 700 with a threaded barrel too with a nice .308 suppressor also. Need another hunting/sniper rifle for a reasonable price and this seems to be the one that I've loved to shoot.

I really should add a Mini 14 to the collection.
But the modularity and spare parts alone point toward the AR.
Heck, the AR is winning in my book against the AK..and Im an AK guy.

I really should add a Mini 14 to the collection.
But the modularity and spare parts alone point toward the AR.
Heck, the AR is winning in my book against the AK..and Im an AK guy.

I'm an AK guy myself, but the fact that you can replace ANY part on an AR without the need of a hydraulic press, rivet grinder, etc more than makes the AR a win in a SHTF/BFPU scenario. Good luck replacing a barrel or a receiver on an AK without anything more than general hand tools.

Keith

The AR-15 rules NRA High Power 'Service Rifle' Competition. The 20 inch service rifle with iron sights is
capable of perfect scores. The Standard National Match Course is shot out to 600 yards. I have owned 4 different
Mini-14s and they are no way near the accuracy of an AR.

I cut my teeth on a Mini 14 and loved it I could not tell you how many thousands of rounds I put threw it over the many years I had it. I decided to jump on the AR band wagon and sold my mini and got a Colt AR15, I liked it but I was so used to he mini that I missed it and after many years I finally got one of the 582 models (and they are a lot nicer than the older models) I also got a new AR too. My new AR still has not been shot but I have had the mini out several times. It comes down to what you like and how well you shoot with it. I shoot with open sights and I don`t see accuracy as big an issue as I am getting older my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I never did have any jamming problems with my AR they are easy to clean and it is a blast to shoot. If you want to get an AR keep your mini if you can so you aren't sorry like I was.

I have not fired an AR15/M16 since the miltary many, many years ago. Old A1 version. I loved the carryability, light weight, and accuracy. However our old ones jammed constantly. If the reliabilty has been improved, which I hear has happened, it would be a fine combat rifle. BTW they are very, very easy to take down for cleaning.

The mini14 is a ranch gun, and should not be used for any purpose other than that. It's definitely not combat ready. But if you take it in the context of its purpose, you're not throwing your money away.

If I had a budget or any legal constraints, I'd take a Mini 14 with a standard stock and factory 5-round magazine for ranch work or bush hunting. That first shot will always go off.. it's the next ones that you might have trouble with.

If I can fork out the $K and/or live in a free state, I'm going to take an AR from a good manufacturer. It'll do ranch work, hunt, self/home-defense, zombie hordes, and last-stands. With quality magazines and liberal lubrication, you'll get first, second, third, 5,000th shot reliability.

Is it just me, or do the mini 14's seem really loud compared to an AR-15.

I got out before basically ALL infantry went to the M4 and bought a Mini14... probably with my final paycheck. I'd generally not even bothered with ear-pro for range days with my M16A4, as it was just barely uncomfortable and I didn't understand the effects of cumulative hearing loss. I fired that Mini14 without ear-pro, expecting it to be about the same... but a 16" barrel without a compensator is a lot different than a 20" barrel with one. Could also have something to do with the action- The Mini probably unlocks faster than the AR, allowing additional report to escape straight from the chamber? Don't know... but it was a LOT louder than that M16.

I haven't fired a mini in about a decade, so I can't compare it to AR carbines. These days, I shoot SBR lengths almost exclusively, which is undeniably horribly loud, anything would seem quiet next to these things.

My friend up in Sandy, Oregon inherited a 1st year Mini 14, and boy does it bark at you, plus the flash coming out the end is also pretty impressive.

A Russian reader posting to this older article's comments says that Russians are using more and more ARs for IPSC over AKs.

Izhmash subsidiary Molot to manufacturer Russian AR-15 rifle! - The Firearm Blog

Keith

The gun pictured in the article has a German manufacturer's brand on it, and it says it's chambered in 223, not 5.56. Interesting. Collapsible stock rubber looking handgrip and a quad rail, but a detachable carry handle, A2 front sight and contoured barrel. A little new school mixed with some old school.

The gun pictured in the article has a German manufacturer's brand on it, and it says it's chambered in 223, not 5.56. Interesting. Collapsible stock rubber looking handgrip and a quad rail, but a detachable carry handle, A2 front sight and contoured barrel. A little new school mixed with some old school.

Russian built, but in this case with the Schmeisser roll mark on it. Similar happens here. Its discussed in the article's comments section.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads