JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These type of questions often refer to a hypothetical shtf scenario..

in that case, i would reach for my AR.

The ammo is more available.
It's more ergonomic.
I can get a better sight picture with iron sights.
I can swap parts (such as swap a 16" upper for a longer barreled upper) in a jiffy. Can't do that with an AK-platform rifle.
I've never had a reliability issue with my AR-15 when compared to my AKs.
Better range and accuracy.
Similar ballistics on soft target and solid cover.

All that being said, the AK-74 is still a great rifle. Any of the advantages I stated above for the AR-15 are of a small magnitude.

Also depends on where in the world you happen to be and how readily ammo is available. Don't laugh. Over here AK's are a dime a dozen. Ammo is a different story though. The Taliban are having a hard time scrounging ammo. A single magazine may contain 4 or 6 different type of rounds. Anyone who shoots will tell you consistancy in key. But the Taliban aren't exactly military geniuses. :nuts:

All things being equal I'd take the AR simply because of all the training the gov't has given me and I already have three. :D

Each has it's advantages and disadvantages relative to the other.

//

I reach for my favorite AR if I only get to choose one. I've got 10,000 rounds under my belt on that weapon system. I'm much more confident and proficient with it. Same reason I grab a Beretta 9mm before any other handgun and a Remington .308 as before any other scoped bolt action. I was given a ton of "free" training on those weapons, and I know them inside and out.

If I had to start over with no knowledge of tactical arms, I probably would have bought an SKS because they're cheap and my uncle had one. after that, no telling what that alternate-reality version of myself would have wanted to shoot.

Also, if it's my AR, It's as durable and consistent as any AK.

HandSolo
Anything as long as it is mil-spec

Not to start a stink but have you read the Mil specs MIL-R-63997b for the M16A2 and MIL-C-71186 for the M4 it says that if the firearm is capable of shooting 10 rounds in a 5 in circle at 100 yards it is acceptable. I prefer to have mine shoot a little better than that. Most all firearms will do better than that even a Rommy AK and they suck.

Don't get me wrong I am a AK47 fan but Mil spec is not all it is cracked up to be..

Just FYI

Yes its an age old argument between the 2. I am curious as to anyone who says they x amount of rounds downrange with no problems on either platform, do you clean it afterwards? I personally feel bad for the gun if I dont clean any gun within 2 days of shooting it (even my Arsenal). I think if I had to bug out in the northwest(wetside of Washington) with only a chestrig full of mags and nothing else (no cleaning kit, oil, survival equipment etc) just whatever is on the gun and my mags and my current clothes that I would pick an AK. In a SHTF scenario we always say "prepare for the worst" who here carries their cleaning kit in their rifle? Me and all my buddies keep ours in our bags, at least the AK has a cleaning rod with it.

I spent enough time in the military to know that the AR/M16 platform works and works well. I also know that my training included the fact that when you had down time you made sure your weapon was cleaned.

You cleaned them before you went to bed, then when you got up, we covered the barrel tip with a baloon to keep dirt out because a dirty weapon is a nonworking weapon. I think you get my drift..

So a about two years ago a good friend of mine went to a 3 day rifle course. The course required 1000 rounds to be shot in 10 stages in verious conditions. Over that three days every one with a AR had problems. Some went down hard to where the bolt had to be removed and cleaned before they could finish. The only guys that did not have any problems where the ones shooting Arsenal SGL 20s (AK47). My buddy came back from the class and sold his AR and got an Arsenal.

I fallowed his lead and and bought one. I got the first one, cleaned it then sighted it in then shot 300 rounds the first day. The next day I fnished the case (700 rounds)without cleaning it. Most stages I set up taken 30 to 90 rounds to complete. These are not mag dump stages but aim and fire for score.

I liked it so much I dumped my ARs and bought 5 more arsenals (when they where still cheap) one for each family member.

Yes both platforms will work well but to me the AK needs less care and in tough times that may be the thing that keeps you alive.

By the way all my Arsenals have cleaning kits in the but stock and the cleaning rod mounted under the barrel if needed. If I have the weapon I have the tools to clean it.

It does not matter witch path you take AK or AR just practice with it and pray you never need it.

Just one mans opinion.

PISTON AR! I already own 2 LWRCs. .223 and 5.56 are plentiful, cheap and are non-corrosive.

I have come to love piston systems on ARs. I'd always fired direct impingement, and for a long time scoffed at piston conversions (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!) but eventually, I started wondering if it would solve the block that all ARs will eventually hit if you don't have an incredible quantity of penetrating lube on hand to break up the unholy mess that inevitably builds up. So I bought a piston AR. Not a cheap conversion, I bought the entire upper made from scratch with the piston from the manufacturer. (If you're going to do a thing, you might as well do it right!) Machined parts designed specifically for that particular barrel, upper receiver, free-float handguard, and gas block by CMMG, Inc. That AR quickly became my favorite and still is, even including the piston conversions I've since put together myself. It can literally run DRY for 300 rounds of sustained fire before any problems, and if I put a little oil on the rails, I haven't been able to find a limit to the amount of rounds I can put through it without cleaning. I purposefully ran it through the ringer trying to break it, and failed.

I was incredibly impressed with the gas piston system, and forever altered my opinion on the quality of CMMG machining.

Therefore, for SHTF situations where Mad-Max-esque road groups are intercepting UPS delivery trucks, Zombies are swarming my bug-out zone, Chinese ships are cruising the Willamette, Gay Marriage and Abortion are legalized, the Power grid is shut down, Gas prices are over $10 a gallon, the Republicans have a 2/3rds majority in congress, and I don't know if what I have on me right now will be all I own, I'll take my piston AR with a spare bolt/parts kit and try to limit my round count. If I can't have that, I'll take my 10/22 and a box of 500 rounds. If I can't have that either, I guess I'll have a bottle of Pendleton and some prescription drugs.

I'd go AK. It's simple, reliable, low-maintenance, cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, does pretty much everything I'd expect from a rifle of that class.

I've got a few different AR
s, ranging from cheap throw togethers and another being a Monolitithic Rail upper with an Adams Arms piston kit on it. I also have a Bulgarian TGI AK-74. I've got 2k into my nice AR and about 700 into my AK and I enjoy shooting my AK much more than the AR. < 10 cents a trigger pull is hard to beat in an assault rifle compared to the 26-40 cent trigger pull on my AR. I get more than impressive accuracy out of the AK considering what it is. I love both of those guns, but I don't think one is better than the other other than in distance accuracy. AK's are simple and I appreciate the minimal parts (especially cleaning).