JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you only knew the depth of what you did! :s0140:

Your timing to reivive the thread couldn't have been better though. Just today I received all my borebuddy goodies.:s0090:
Hey, don't blame me for reviving the thread. That's RyanG90's fault! :s0140:

Remember these?
(Not my Pictures)

1656548877681.png

Military m261, conversion kit.

Some of you might even remember that COLT would also provide their version with their rifle (for an additional cost).

1656549103036.png

IMHO......
It was less accurate with the 1:7 twist barrel. Yeah, it did much better with the old 1:12 twist barrels. At any rate......perhaps a 1:16 dedicated barrel and/or complete rifle would be better still? Yeah.....dreaming. I spent too much money......just playing/modifying Ruger 10/22s over the years.

My m261 conversion kit is somewhere hiding among the "other stuff".

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Thank you all.
I did not think about the gas system getting plugged up, lead fouling or proper bore and twist.
That was the info I needed. Don't think I'll take the bait...
I have the JP rifles .22lr dedicated barrel and bolt. Everything else is legit mil spec receivers so its basically a AR clone. I like it but I haven't barely shot it. Thinking about taking it and the shoddy out this weekend with my buddy.
The HK/Umarex/Colt/Walther-Hammerli's get pretty damn good reviews too. Those take slightly different mags (HK type) which I have some of which are MUCH better quality than cmmg black dog machine mags/Sig etc. that my JP rifles takes. Infact I'm thinking seriously about getting the HK/COLT/WALTHER/HAMMERLI since I already have the mags. Those setups are pretty cheap, and NOT in quality.

The S&W's are plastic toys. I'd never get them, their mags are decent from what i hear but plastic receiver's lol! You can get the "better mag" adapter to get the best of both and use the s&w mags in the other style.

I just bought some rare I think pro mags? Which kinda clone the really nice HK mags but the material isn't quite as tough you can tell by the flex and knock test with your knuckle but the pro mags actually have pretty nice steel feed lips, the HK's feed lips look to be the most durable of the plastic type. The pro mags def seem better than any of other mag like black dog, 2a etc (I have quite a few diff ones)

Long story short I'd def. Say they are worth investing in especially with ammo prices lately. Although they come close I wouldn't call them a legit training weapon. Mainly for cadence of firing and target acquisition.

I don't know what the hate for these is all about. I have several of them and find they are great for plinking short distances and also having people shoot the AR initially without the loud report or concussion. I initially taught my wife basic rifle manipulation with the AR with it. It's not a perfect mimic because once you drop the mag the bolt goes forward, but it got her from no AR experience to walking and shooting pretty quickly. After the basics were down we took it out and put the .223 bolt back in for a realistic experience.

In terms of it having more use than that, it just depends on what your standards are for accuracy. It will never be a 10/22 because the barrel isn't the right caliber, but it's close enough that you can still expect the bullet to land in a small circle at short distance.

In a "survival" situation you could have your AR, once of these and a brick of .22 lr and be able to pull the trigger a lot longer than other people.

Yes, it actually is a complete waste of money, and you might as well have thrown your $180.00 down the toilet.
The problem I have with them is that they grow into complete .22 rifles. Might as well just start here for your build. Barrels are in short supply right now but they do show up now and then. You can use a standard AR lower but you'll eventually want to find a bolt catch for LBHO.

It's even possible to do well at an Appleseed with an AR-22 with a few modifications, but you do need an actual .22 barrel. The conversion kit is only the first step.

That's not what I want.

The End
I like the dedicated cmmg upper I have. (it is the blowback, dedicated bolt and barrel and not a conversion.) I really want to pick up a couple more for the girlies with 16 inch barrels. I have the shorty with a dedicated can on my SBR. I find it to be the most fun .22 I have.

The problem I have with them is that they grow into complete .22 rifles.
**Verified** 🤣

I think they are pretty great... for their intended purpose. As a drop in, it's not a precision paper puncher, but it's still a quite capable shooter and "accurate enough" for small game and varmit hunting. We run 2 drop-ins and recently put together a dedicated.

Gotta tell the truth though... as PiratePast said... they do have a tendency to want to wear bigger britches. One of mine grew up, identified as "her", then just about cleaned out my wallet shopping accessories on borebuddy.com.

Now she's all dressed up she's itching to go out and show off.

Barrels really are difficult to come by. I ended up backordering one from CMMG, but was pleasantly suprised the order was filled in just a couple weeks... while everywhere else (including the CMMG website) is still showing "out of stock".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top