JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is price a consideration? There are many fine 223/5.56 black guns. Colt is a fine brand but you will pay more for a debatable value. I have not personally shot the SIG 556 which is not technically an AR platform but similar in function. I do own one of their handguns (226 tac ops) and it is by far the finest handgun I have shot or owned in nearly 40 years of gun ownership.

If you want to own the best and can pop for the extra $800 - $1000 for the Sig, do it.

If you cant justify it I would look at DPMS, Bushmaster, S&W M&P or any of the dozens of other mid-point manufacturers. Northwest Armory in Milwaukie or Curt's Discount Guns in Gladstone would be good places to get expert advice.

One more thing, ARs like Harley Davidsons are created to be customized. If you are into this a traditional AR would offer many more options. Check out midway.com or Brownells to see how much trick goodies are available for AR platforms.

Thank you, good stuff. At this point in my life I'm buying stuff I like without having to modify. I think I'll go with the Sig 308. I know the ammo costs more but I doubt I'll put too many rounds through it.

Colt or Sig?
308 or 223?

Hmm, well at least you narrowed it down between two brands, but still a bit vague don't ya think. Could you at least let us know what color preference you have?

Everyone has heard of Colt, Sig has a cult following but a lot newer in the AR platform, like others said, what is your price range, type of use, amount of use, planning on adding goodies to it later, planning on keeping it forever or possibly sell it in time. Just some ideas if you let the guys know, you might get a better answer.

i'm intrigued that the OP would post the query in such simplistic fashion,
as if we would be able to guess what they were intending to do with
the rifle, what factors to consider, etc. you select based on the
application, ie looking for the right tool for the job.

unless you are filthy rich, dont care, etc and just want a toy to fill the
safe or put above the mantle

Colt 6920 (and 6940) rifles are great, but the Sig M400 enhanced is very similar quality. I'd call it a coin flip. Can't go wrong. Colt gets more recognition for their rifles here, of course.

In .308, Sig 716 all day.

Seems you don't understand the differences in the alloys, metal treatments and testing procedures used. Simply there is a difference between machine gun steel vs. bolt action steel. DPMS, Bushmaster, S&W M&P or any of the dozens of other mid-point manufacturers, are considered low quality short lived ARs by those who know ARs.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top