JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
.223/5.56 18" free float 1:8 twist, geared towards target shooting / plinking mostly. I'd say max 600 yds, because it's the max on the range I belong to.

I started thinking 1-4 would be enough and had my eyes set on a Mark R mod 1 firedot but now I'm not so sure anymore. I usually find myself dialing my 4-12 VX 2 all the way up to 12 when shooting 300 yds or longer.

What about 1st/2nd focal plane? I like the idea of easy distance calculation with mil-dots. But am also concerned the cross-hair would completely cover smaller targets with 1st focal plane scope.

I'd be ok spending $500+some and might fork out an extra $ for something made locally in the US.

Any advice welcome

Vortex and Leupold have fine offerings in your price range. And AR's aren't generally considered "precision" platforms so as long as the optic is clear and tracks accurately you should be GTG.

16X is more than enough for the distances mentioned, and for the caliber as well.

If you could stretch your budget a little I would spring for an Athlon Midas TAC 4-16 if you don't need illumination. Or if you do need illumination you could get an Athlon Ares BTR right now for under $600 in Ether 2.5-15 or 4.5-27.

If you could stretch your budget a little I would spring for an Athlon Midas TAC 4-16 if you don't need illumination. Or if you do need illumination you could get an Athlon Ares BTR right now for under $600 in Ether 2.5-15 or 4.5-27.

I would NEVER recommend an Athlon over a Leupold or higher end Vortex. Not ever.

I'll agree with Leupold and Vortex.

I'll add Primary Arms into the mix. Great scopes for the money.

Leupold Rifleman 3x9 Mod AR - can be had in mil dot. Best Leupold scope for the money. Price is sub 300 on sale last time I checked.

I've grown to love a 30mm tube, and although they are made in China. The primary arms offers are very practical. Their 1x8 sfp offerings (in the $300's)and their 4x14 FFp offerings. ($200-220)

Trijicon accupoint 3x9 mil dots have been on sale recently for $600.

I have a Primary Arms 4x14 FFP scope and it worked well to 300 on my Ruger Precision 6mm.
I then upgraded to a 6-24 Vortex Viper.
The primary arms has now displaced the 3-9 that was on the FAL.

I have Leupold, Primary Arms, Vortex scopes and have never had an issue with them.

Vortex Crossfire 1-4
I wish I could get my hands on a few more of these for some different applications, sadly I only have one and they don't show up very often.

This would be the NON- illuminated version that I'm referencing.

Mounted to a Ruger PC-9 takedown.
Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 10.19.38 PM.png

What it looks like behind it at 1x.
Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 10.20.35 PM.png

I have a Leupold 1-4 with the firedot on a Stag Arms zeroed @50 yards with 1/4" results and a Windham with a Truglo illuminated 1=6 zeroed @ 50 yards with a little over an inch grouping, The rifles are basically the same with 1/9 twist. The main difference is the triggers. The Stag has a 3.5 lb trigger and the Windham as the PSA EPT 5-6 lb trigger. Everything else is pretty much equal.

I have a handful of AR15s and believe spending a little bit upgrading the triggers is the best bang for the buck. The Leupold is nice but at half the price the TG isn't bad. At least for what I use it for.

No love for burris here i guess. The op has probably found a good scope by now, but if not my suggestion would be for an ar specific rifle scope. The burris AR556 4.5-14x42 with the c4 windplex reticle is all i use on my ar's that i plan on shooting out past 400 yards. They track very well, have nice clear glass, are rugged and return to zero perfectly. They can also be found for less than $350.00. Ill be using mine tomorrow. Hitting and seeing the 4" steel plate at 400 yards is childs play when you are using the right optics.

Thanks!
From everybody's suggestions it seems like 1-4 magnification might not be enough.I'll refocus my evaluation accordingly...

4x is just fine to 600 yards. I'd suggest a 1x6 or 1x8 Primary Arms in an ACSS reticle. It makes it easy to compensate for distance and they are illuminated. The reticle is also what makes them such a great value since they can spend the money on the optics and not the repeatability of the adjustment knobs. Made in the same factory as the Vortex Strikeagle - almost identical except for sliht cosmetics and IMO a much improved reticle.

1570857906443.png

My neighbor is working at Leupold which makes the brand selection easy. I ended up getting a VXR patrol 3-9 which I really like. As I mostly mostly have access to 300 yards for longer distances, it feels just about right and allows me to shoot groups at that distance. 1-4 will shoot groups too of course, but I found I had a hard time getting them as small as I wanted at 300 yards.

I'm in no rush, but my next next hurdle will be to mount a backup red dot. I'm finding the space between the rail and the scope is too narrow to fit my regular no-name brand in. I really like the integrated mount - makes things really easy. But it seems like I might have to go to regular rings if I don't want to fork out a lot of money for a setup I'd rarely be using.

scope.jpg

My neighbor is working at Leupold which makes the brand selection easy. I ended up getting a VXR patrol 3-9 which I really like. As I mostly mostly have access to 300 yards for longer distances, it feels just about right and allows me to shoot groups at that distance. 1-4 will shoot groups too of course, but I found I had a hard time getting them as small as I wanted at 300 yards.

I'm in no rush, but my next next hurdle will be to mount a backup red dot. I'm finding the space between the rail and the scope is too narrow to fit my regular no-name brand in. I really like the integrated mount - makes things really easy. But it seems like I might have to go to regular rings if I don't want to fork out a lot of money for a setup I'd rarely be using.

View attachment 624140

I have one and can attest that it's a great scope. It performs above it's price point.

4x is just fine to 600 yards. I'd suggest a 1x6 or 1x8 Primary Arms in an ACSS reticle. It makes it easy to compensate for distance and they are illuminated. The reticle is also what makes them such a great value since they can spend the money on the optics and not the repeatability of the adjustment knobs. Made in the same factory as the Vortex Strikeagle - almost identical except for sliht cosmetics and IMO a much improved reticle.

View attachment 624097
It really depends on the size of the target we are talking about at 600 yards, but personally to do any kind of precision shooting at that range, I prefer upwards of 14x and more. I also like shooting 2" diameter steel plate at 400 yards though. Just got done shooting at steel at that range a little while ago and the 14 power worked well enough at that range. My 5-20x50 Nightforce was even better on my 6.5 creedmoor. I like to be able to see (clearly) what I'm shooting at. I don't even like using a 4x at 100 yards, let alone the OP's suggested range of 600 yards. He's also saying he already has to crank it up to 12x when shooting 300 yards, so I don't think a 4x is going to do him much good either... Everyone's eyesight is different though. If you can use one, my hat goes off to you. However, I highly doubt you'll be winning any matches with a 4x at 600..... Just a thunk.
Z4vJw9C.jpg
ZpUWB2A.jpg
u9oetIL.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR