JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning to get a SBR, either 10.5" or 12", and putting a suppressor on it. I've read all the usual arguments about piston vs DI. Bottom line is, they both work, both are reliable, so whatever. I'm not interested in those arguments right now.

What I'm interested in is cleaning. I like shooting guns, I do not like cleaning them, probably because I'm a perfectionist and when I set out to clean one, it's hard for me to stop at "good enough" instead of going all the way to "eat off it". So, for those with experience with both DI and piston suppressed SBRs, how much difference does the piston make in how dirty it gets? Is the gunk easier to wipe off with one vs the other?

It makes one heck of a lot of difference in the chamber and BCG. I have had a DI AR for years but hated all the deep cleaning that came with it each time out burning through many hundreds of rounds of quality ammo. Some say they just put em away dirty and clean em the 3 or 4th time to the range which I could NEVER even contemplate such an act of indecency......
I invested in an Adams Arms piston kit when I purchased a new Bushmaster a few years ago and love it. I still do a complete cleaning of the AR but it is not a chore of scraping & picking out caked carbon from the chamber and BCG.

As far as a suppressor cleaning goes I would think a piston does not make a difference....:s0159:

I don't have suppressed experience with either, but as far as regular non suppressed use my Adams Arms piston AR is by far the easiest to clean. Not only does very little gas enter the receivers action, the bolt and carrier are both Nitrided. Both pretty much wipe clean if they get dirty at all. The barrel gas block and piston components are also Nitrided. So they aren't very hard to clean either. The dirtiest component is the gas block and piston. The system operates to where it scrapes away a lot of build up as it cycles, but after a day at the range in excess of 4-500 rounds there will be some caking. I imagine suppressor use will add to this. I also imagine the suppressor will allow more captured gas to go back down the barrel once the action cycles as well.

As for DI, the only one I have that sort of compares is a home brew with Nitrided components. The barrel, BCG, gas tube, and gas block are all Nitrided. They are easier to clean, but I still have to scrape the bolt clean every once and a while.

I have had great luck with my Sig 516 upper. While shooting my 11.5 colt di upper it would get dirty enough after many many suppressed rounds to cause malfunctions. the 10 inch sig upper hasn't had that problem. Also its gas piston is very easy to adjust while shooting if you do experience a problem while shooting. After a typical range session the bolt carrier group are easier to clean as they are exposed to much less carbon. The piston itself is easy to wipe down.

Hi,

I have a PWS 10" SBR, the Mod 1 and a Daniel Defense 16" rifle (midlenght gas tube), I shoot them both with AAC M4-2000 and I have to tell you that is easier to clean the PWS, but even with the piston adjusted all the way, I do get a lot of blow back on my face and still gets dirty (because of the blow back) but still it seems to be easier to clean than the Daniel Defense.

I've got both a 16" and 10.5" gas guns and an AAC SDN-6. The BCG is what I really find to be dirtier in the shorter gun. The rest of the gun is about the same to clean. I would recommend getting a hard chrome BCG and you'll be able to just wipe it down.

I agree, just get a nickel boron coated bolt and carrier, it's not needed, but their nice in my suppressed AR's much easier cleanup, basically just wipe and lube, another must have is a PRI Gasbuster charging handle for suppressed AR's.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top