Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR-15 Pistol vs Kel-Tec PLR-16 Supressed + Subsonic Reliability

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by PBinWA, Apr 26, 2011.

1. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

I'm considering either an AR-15 pistol or a Kel-Tec PLR-16 for a "short" (but not SBR - I live in WA) suppressed option.

Anyone have any experience with AR-15 Pistols? Are they reliable with the correct ammo? It seems to be that there may be some feeding issues with sub-sonic ammo in either of these guns

Anything to look out for or avoid?

Other suggestions appreciated but I'm leaning towards and AR-15 pistol type configuration since I have a suppressor already on order.

2. PBinWA

OK, researching this more. (Maybe this thread should be in the NFA area). Can you use a threaded suppressor with an AR Pistol in WA or do you need a different connection mechanism?

3. Abunai

Abunai Puget Sound Area Member

I had a RRA 10.5" pistol. It was loud, fun, and fairly reliable.

I bought it thinking it would be nice in a SBR kind of way - I live in WA too. But I ended up trading it off because it was too much of a compromise. It was hard to shoot accurately offhand, I was never comfortable with the 'cheek' technique, and while shouldering the weapon was technically possible it was very awkward. The end came when I compared it to my MSAR and I realized they were about the same size.

Have you considered an AR-15 upper with a short barrel and welded suppressor? That way, you can meet the minimum length requirements and still have a very compact AR. I think you'd be happier with it than the 'pistol.'

4. PBinWA

Interesting, I hadn't thought of a .223 bullpup. I'm getting my first suppressor. I'll see how that goes before I go the "weld on" route.

I haven't shot an AR pistol but from the look of it it would be similar to a pistol grip shotgun. I'm reasonably good with the pistol grip shotgun so I figured it would be a similar experience.

5. Abunai

Abunai Puget Sound Area Member

IMHO it's way different. Shotguns are designed to be point and shoot. Rifles need to be aimed. And at rifle - or even pistol - distances, it's pretty easy to miss with an AR pistol from the hip.

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Most place recommend that you have at least a 11.5" barrel or you will burn out your silencer very quickly from excessive heat.......

7. CAL30M1

CAL30M1 Longview, WA Active Member

The barrel on the PLR-16 is only 9.25". Something to consider.