AR-15 Pistol vs Kel-Tec PLR-16 Supressed + Subsonic Reliability

Reactions
I'm considering either an AR-15 pistol or a Kel-Tec PLR-16 for a "short" (but not SBR - I live in WA) suppressed option.

Anyone have any experience with AR-15 Pistols? Are they reliable with the correct ammo? It seems to be that there may be some feeding issues with sub-sonic ammo in either of these guns

Anything to look out for or avoid?

Other suggestions appreciated but I'm leaning towards and AR-15 pistol type configuration since I have a suppressor already on order.

OP
P
Reactions
OK, researching this more. (Maybe this thread should be in the NFA area). Can you use a threaded suppressor with an AR Pistol in WA or do you need a different connection mechanism?

Reactions
I had a RRA 10.5" pistol. It was loud, fun, and fairly reliable.

I bought it thinking it would be nice in a SBR kind of way - I live in WA too. But I ended up trading it off because it was too much of a compromise. It was hard to shoot accurately offhand, I was never comfortable with the 'cheek' technique, and while shouldering the weapon was technically possible it was very awkward. The end came when I compared it to my MSAR and I realized they were about the same size.

Have you considered an AR-15 upper with a short barrel and welded suppressor? That way, you can meet the minimum length requirements and still have a very compact AR. I think you'd be happier with it than the 'pistol.'

OP
P
Reactions
Interesting, I hadn't thought of a .223 bullpup. I'm getting my first suppressor. I'll see how that goes before I go the "weld on" route.

I haven't shot an AR pistol but from the look of it it would be similar to a pistol grip shotgun. I'm reasonably good with the pistol grip shotgun so I figured it would be a similar experience.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
    • HA556
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
    • matts
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
Top Bottom