JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all. I have one more stripped lower laying here. I bought it new from a dealer a few years back. have not done an ar pistol, and want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.

It is my understanding that you can build an ar pistol a long as the receiver has never been built into a rifle. You can then use a 7.5" upper legally as long as there is no stock.

Is that correct? Anything else i should know prior to this build? I appreciate any input. Thanks.

What was it called when you bought it? Last time I bought a stripped lower, I was asked if it was going to be a rifle, a pistol, or an "other" whatever that might be. I told him it would be a rifle because AR pistols look silly. The seller agreed. Now, I wish I had a lower to build as a pistol, then send in for the SBR $200 stamp.

Stripped lowers should only be sold/bought as receivers. Period. Unless they are marked PISTOL, they should be only sold/bought as receiver/other. If that's not what you are doing, your doing it wrong.

:s0159:

What was it called when you bought it? Last time I bought a stripped lower, I was asked if it was going to be a rifle, a pistol, or an "other" whatever that might be. I told him it would be a rifle because AR pistols look silly. The seller agreed. Now, I wish I had a lower to build as a pistol, then send in for the SBR $200 stamp.

It is my understanding, and I am not an expert in these matters, just a guy with the internet, that according to the ATF, all that matters is if the receiver has previously been barreled with a rifle length barrel. Specifically:

"With respect to barreling and the assembly of pistols, if individuals utilize a receiver that has never been barreled as a rifle action, they may lawfully assemble a pistol. Such an assembled pistol would constitute a "firearm" as defined in the GCA. If an individual utilizes a receiver that has already been barreled as a rifle action in the assembly of a pistol, such an assembled pistol would constitute a "weapon made from a rifle" as defined in the NFA."

Got this from Can I make an AR-15 type pistol for my personal use? - NFA Gun Trust Lawyer Blog
but I've seen this referenced in many other places, it was just the top google hit I copied from.

The only concern i have, is thatin some places i read that the lower had to be registered as a pistil or other when you bought it (which i have no idea what it was marked on the ffl form) then in other places i read that it doesn't matter what was marked as long as it was never built into a rifle. I'm hoping the latter is correct.

My understanding of the rule is, it must never have been built into a rifle. I'm not sure how you'd determine a rifle versus pistol except in which buttstock tube it has or has had. Now you have a stripped lower so I don't think that matters. There's a whole section on AR-15 pistols over at arfcom.

Just build it, and tell the Feds to eat SHEeet.
We sound like a bunch of Sally's these days.
Yea I know you will come back with, oh wait dude, your out of line, or crazy.
But holy SHEeet, look at this world now.
I've got a sts arms AR pistol.
It's my tweeker whacker
Somewhat like a weed wacker

Just build it, and tell the Feds to eat SHEeet.
We sound like a bunch of Sally's these days.
Yea I know you will come back with, oh wait dude, your out of line, or crazy.
But holy SHEeet, look at this world now.
I've got a sts arms AR pistol.
It's my tweeker whacker
Somewhat like a weed wacker
I hear you, and truth be told what are the odd of getting caught making a mistake, I'd say not very high. Though I do pick my battles and carefully choose who gets the finger. This isn't the hill I'd wanna die on.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top