Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

ar-15 pistol build questions

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Karma, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Karma

Karma the woods in Oregon Active Member

Hey all. I have one more stripped lower laying here. I bought it new from a dealer a few years back. have not done an ar pistol, and want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.

It is my understanding that you can build an ar pistol a long as the receiver has never been built into a rifle. You can then use a 7.5" upper legally as long as there is no stock.

Is that correct? Anything else i should know prior to this build? I appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Yes, if the lower has never been built into a rifle, you can do whatever you want.

Yes, no Stock. Need a minimum of 16" barrel for a stock.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Karma

Perfect. Thank you.

4. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

What was it called when you bought it? Last time I bought a stripped lower, I was asked if it was going to be a rifle, a pistol, or an "other" whatever that might be. I told him it would be a rifle because AR pistols look silly. The seller agreed. Now, I wish I had a lower to build as a pistol, then send in for the SBR $200 stamp.

shooter58 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Stripped lowers should only be sold/bought as receivers. Period. Unless they are marked PISTOL, they should be only sold/bought as receiver/other. If that's not what you are doing, your doing it wrong.

:twocents:

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Mattofsmatt

Mattofsmatt Portland Member

It is my understanding, and I am not an expert in these matters, just a guy with the internet, that according to the ATF, all that matters is if the receiver has previously been barreled with a rifle length barrel. Specifically:

"With respect to barreling and the assembly of pistols, if individuals utilize a receiver that has never been barreled as a rifle action, they may lawfully assemble a pistol. Such an assembled pistol would constitute a "firearm" as defined in the GCA. If an individual utilizes a receiver that has already been barreled as a rifle action in the assembly of a pistol, such an assembled pistol would constitute a "weapon made from a rifle" as defined in the NFA."

Got this from Can I make an AR-15 type pistol for my personal use? - NFA Gun Trust Lawyer Blog
    but I've seen this referenced in many other places, it was just the top google hit I copied from.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Karma

The only concern i have, is thatin some places i read that the lower had to be registered as a pistil or other when you bought it (which i have no idea what it was marked on the ffl form) then in other places i read that it doesn't matter what was marked as long as it was never built into a rifle. I'm hoping the latter is correct.

8. OREGON FALER

OREGON FALER Springfield, OR. Active Member

My understanding of the rule is, it must never have been built into a rifle. I'm not sure how you'd determine a rifle versus pistol except in which buttstock tube it has or has had. Now you have a stripped lower so I don't think that matters. There's a whole section on AR-15 pistols over at arfcom.

9. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Just build it, and tell the Feds to eat SHEeet.
    We sound like a bunch of Sally's these days.
    Yea I know you will come back with, oh wait dude, your out of line, or crazy.
    But holy SHEeet, look at this world now.
    I've got a sts arms AR pistol.
    It's my tweeker whacker
    Somewhat like a weed wacker

10. OREGON FALER

OREGON FALER Springfield, OR. Active Member

I hear you, and truth be told what are the odd of getting caught making a mistake, I'd say not very high. Though I do pick my battles and carefully choose who gets the finger. This isn't the hill I'd wanna die on.