JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in the market for a rifle. I've been wanting an AR or an AK or something along those lines. Prefer to keep it around $200 or less.

I want to use it for hunting and to protect the fam in case.... well, in case really bad things start happening. I already have a shotgun for home defense, so don't need that.

So, what do you have?

*Edit:
I'm also willing to trade some work for a rifle. I can do website work. I'd be willing to create or update someone's website in trade for a rifle. The work I'd be willing to do depends on the rifle you'd be willing to trade. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my site, but you can use this as a sample. Click <broken link removed> to get there.

In the $200 to $250 range I suggest a solid SKS. When the zombies come it can deliver some pretty good accuracy for the hunter/gatherer and can take some after market mags to get you some round capacity. Built in spike bayonet is always fun with after halloween jacko lantern defense too. AR for under $800 will be lean pickings. AK $350-$400 but wouldn't recommend for hunting from that price platform. Add on sniper package could improve performance but then you're pushing toward AR pricing. If you want to bump to that $350-450 range... A CETME in 7.62 NATO (.308) could be good value.

SKS for your price range is best all around option in my opinion. Ammo availability and price is probably also key for you. 7.62x39 for the SKS (same as AK)

A good AK parts kit with barrel will run you $250+ now days.. Any AK under $400.00 will be cheap and have issues. A beat up SKS for $250.00 will be the best buy and be just as good and reliable as a $400-$500.00 AK. or $750.00 AR. But a $200.00 SKS is hard to find unless its beat or a Frankenstein.. Possibly $300 - $350 for a Good SKS but look at it close before you buy read and learn..

You don't have to settle for a beat up SKS if you want to add a tad bit more to your $200 price range. Near new Yugoslavian SKSs go for $225 (extremely good deal) to $275 (good, but you can do better if you hunt around) these days. The Yugos are of very good quality are the most recently imported en masse to the US, therefor the most common and least expensive. I'd suggest scrounging for the extra $50 and get one.

Keith

You'll be getting one heck of a deal if you find any of those rifles for 200 or less (assuming they are in decent condition).

There is a Russian SKS for sale for 300 I believe on the forum and I suggest picking that up if possible. They are the cream of the crop of the SKS world and 300 is a great price.

Just remember though, Yugo's do not have a chrome lined barrel and it is fairly common to have problems with the gas system.

Get a Chinese SKS. Realistically a $200 gun and don't be afraid to tell the seller so. I've had 2 and both shot GREAT!!!! I liked them better than the AK I had and felt they were more accurate as well though I never put that to the test.

I agree with snew. I've run several friends' Chinese Norinco SKS and they're pretty nice and shoot very accurately and as I said you can accessorize the crud out of them (mags, stocks, scopes) down the road if you really want trick it out. Should hover around the $200 +/- mark for a plain jane in good shape. I also love my Norinco MAC 90 (Chinese AK). very tight, got it new in the early 90's Sporter configuration as opposed to a "rode hard put away wet" AK ...Yugo, Romanian, etc AK.

This fellow is selling an Albanian SKS right now for $200 on this very forum, of course he's apparently a WA resident and didn't comment on whether he's willing to ship to OR, but it may be worth asking.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27923

Dunno much about the Albanian SKS, other than it looks kinda strange compared to the others. I've got a rather early Chinese example that I absolutely love that I bought for under $200 several months ago so that's probably the way to go for your budget.

Yeah, I've looked at a few SKS's at the local pawnshops. There was this one I had my eye on for a while. It was Norinco with a synth stock for $225 I was seriously considering a few months ago. They had it forever, but it's gone now. I guess I should've gone for it!

It occurred to me that I could also do some web-work in trade for or towards a rifle. I edited my first post with details.

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm open to more, also! But does anyone actually have something they'd like to offer? :)

I've got a used Yugo SKS, bluing and stock show age, but not bad, overall it seems to be a solid gun. I ran a brush through the barrel and it looks good, I stripped the gun and all seems to be mechanically solid. The gun is all original factory 10rd mag and bayonet, PM me if you're interested. I'd like 225 out of it, I feel that is a pretty fair price.

Austin

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.