JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is there any way to tell a rifle from a pistol lower if the lower is not marked as such?

FWIW, I bought two stripped lowers awhile back and I've been told I can build either a pistol OR a rifle from them. And, I've also been told that, once I build a pistol, I can also switch it to a rifle if I want to do that. From what little I know, there's really no difference in the lower as far as the milling goes.

From what I've learned on the subject, unless your lower transferred on the 4473 specifically as a "pistol" or "rifle", then you can build it into either. Most FFL's should know to transfer your lower as "other", then you decide. If I buy a lower, I do ask my FFL to confirm it transfers as "other". I had one transfer it as "rifle" before - I forgot to ask him before he did the paperwork.

There are some rules about building back and forth, as I recall (research this, don't quote me on it), if you build any lower as a pistol first (document it - maybe a photo), then you can build it as a rifle and back again - but build it as a rifle first, then you can't switch it to a pistol. All sounds crazy to me, because really, how the hell would they know what you built first??

No difference unless you make a point to buy one with "pistol" stamped on it.
A lower is considered "other" on the form and can be made into either one.
AFTER the build is where it makes a difference

yep hopefully its was marked as "other" originally

edit: pre coffee spelling error
They almost always come as other. The sellers usually know to send them that way.
Only stupid gun shops or customers who demand it go on the paper work as pistol mark it as pistol unless it came from the factory as pistol.

They almost always come as other. The sellers usually know to send them that way.
Only stupid gun shops or customers who demand it go on the paper work as pistol mark it as pistol unless it came from the factory as pistol.
Even if it WERE sold as a pistol, you can legally turn it into a rifle/pistol/rifle and so on. It's just if it were sold as a rifle, you are limited to rifle only, or at least that's how I understand it.

OK so short of being able to talk to the FFL who originally sold the Lower (or the whole firearm if that was the case) there is no way to know if the Lower is a Pistol, Rifle, or Other. And I assume if it was sold originally as a whole firearm it would most likely be a Rifle? on the books.

It is somewhat one of those gray areas in having to build it as a pistol first. To cover you're a$$ slap a pistol upper on it with a pistol tube take a pic with the serial number and date then you have proof.

But talking to law enforcement as long as there is no documentation showing it was ever built into a rifle then it is still just a receiver by law. That is how it shipped from the factory and what it says on the 4473 when sold to you.

Now say for some reason times get hard and you decide to pawn it so ya put a rifle bbl on it and a stock and go down and get your loan. Well he is going to put it down as a rifle and when you go to get it back the new 4473 will say rifle and then it's a done deal the documentation now shows it's a rifle and it cannot be changed.

Say your home gets busted (even if wrong house) and the cops come in and take your guns and they document that they received a rifle if you have to fill out a 4473 to get it back its now a rifle if not from what I understand it is still a receiver but it's your call how you want to play it.

If you go to sell the gun take the receiver with no tube and no upper and transfer it as a receiver (this can be only done if the original paperwork says a receiver to began with not a rifle) then when you go back out to your car you hand him the upper and buffer assembly as they are not a gun they are just simple parts. Then he can do what he wants with it.

The bad part is it is up to the determination of the officer questioning you as to how it might go so just do not do anything stupid and no one will ask questions.

OK so short of being able to talk to the FFL who originally sold the Lower (or the whole firearm if that was the case) there is no way to know if the Lower is a Pistol, Rifle, or Other. And I assume if it was sold originally as a whole firearm it would most likely be a Rifle? on the books.
Yeah, unfortunately, if it is currently in the form of a rifle, than I would think that would be the smart thing to do, leave it alone. Without being able to know the history.

The buffer tube can be a little different too, my Sig brace is on a KAK pistol tube. I just used a bare (No stock) rifle tube on my other one. I can switch uppers and add the stock to make a rifle with that same tube and lower. my KAK one has a slightly rounded end and no holes for an adjustable stock.

The buffer tube can be a little different too, my Sig brace is on a KAK pistol tube. I just used a bare (No stock) rifle tube on my other one. I can switch uppers and add the stock to make a rifle with that same tube and lower. my KAK one has a slightly rounded end and no holes for an adjustable stock.
I've been told to be careful to not put a rifle buffer on a pistol, even without a stock. I don't recall the details, but apparently it could be bad. I know the odds of getting pinched are probably slim, but the potential downside is not fun.

On another note, any AR that I build begins life as a pistol, regardless what it will end up as. Just to cover the bases.

You can contact the factory to see how it was originally shipped but if the receiver has ever been transferred as a rifle from that time forward it's a done deal.

Yes the number of pistols shipped from the factories is very small compared to rifles so most likely if it was shipped as a complete firearm it was a rifle.

Also up until the last couple years most factory build pistols did say pistol on them just to cover their A$$ but not so much anymore.

As far as tubes it's another gray area yes you can use a carbine or rifle tube but if you have a stock for a rifle and you have no rifle in the house to put it on then it could be said that there is no other purpose for said stock other than making an SBR. Many folks will glue Para cord on a carbine tube so a stock can not be mounted but that is a lot of work when tubes are cheap for the most part.

If you have rifles and pistols you can have spare parts for both including stocks. It's another cover yourself and use a pistol tube then there is no question about it.

I have KAK extended tubes with sig braces, KAK blade tube with the Blade and just a KAK extended with foam protection and I have used rifle tubes with a foam cover so a stock cannot be mounted on it..

Carbine tubes are 7 in, KAK extended are 9 in and a rifle is 10 in long so depending what you want to do the length can make a difference.

Good luck and have fun.
20160803_064420-crop.jpg

Last Edited:
Unless it was a homebuild its almost a guarantee that a whole rifle means the lower is a rifle.

If bought as a stripped lower it should have been transferred as other.

You have reference to this?
Never heard of such a thing .
I built a couple pistols and didn't need "pistol" stamped,engraved ,whatever on the lower
I think he's referring to the transfer paperwork. Not the receiver itself.
In any case a good thread, I thought I had a good handle on it but I can see where I had some holes in my belfry. Some big bats flying around in there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top