JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Retaining Pin Legs Bent Apart:
I ran across the same issue on two AR 15 bolt carrier groups. The firing pin retainer AKA the cotter pin has the legs spread so far apart it's damn near impossible to put back in place once you pull it out during regular maintenance. The first of the two bent ones I was able to coax back in using needle nose pliers, but the second was an absolute "no go".

I was about ready to head down to the LGS and get a new one when I ran across a YT video that shows how to fix the pin. It's so freaking simple once you know the "trick". Simply put something in the pin to spread it a bit further apart and squeeze the tips together with pliers. The goal is to leave a small gap so they apply some pressure and stay in place, In the video he uses a thumb tack, but I used a very small hex wrench.

Here is the video. Audio is stupid low, but you can see how to do the fix:

Reinstalling the Firing Pin Retainer Without Uttering a Single F Bomb:

Many times it's hard or damn near impossible to get the retaining pin to go all the way through once you get it past the firing pin itself. In the past i've just applied more pressure and this may be how some pins got bent in teh first place.

Like everything there is a trick. Orient the eye of the retaining pin so you can see through it when you look down at the bolt from the gas key side and push until you feel it against the far side of the bolt carrier. Now, using the eye like a handle, wiggle the retainer up and down until you feel it contact the hile. You can even see it from teh rear of the carrier or through the hole itself.

I have had it happen as well and I didn't look up any YouTube videos. I used the same technique that the second video had and it worked just fine. I would have to take my cleaning gloves off and wash my hands before touching my laptop or smartphone just to search for YouTube videos. ;)

This... and fwiw... not all firing pin retaining pins are equal... some cheaper ones lack decent bevels on the inserted end.

Pushing down on the Retaining pin really does help considerably. Watch the video.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top