JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,
I recently let my wife take my rifle out to go shooting with some friends. When she got back she decided to be helpful and clean it up for me, but now it will not go into full battery. When I found out, I did some investigating and found that she forgot to put the firing pin back in the bolt carrier group.

Does anyone know of a way to break down an AR without having to take off the buffer tube if the bcg is extended past the rear of the upper receiver?

Easy to leave the firing pin out of an AR15 build. Do not ask ME how I know this to be true. You are in for some fun. I will let others try to describe the procedure. Some disassembly will be required. Lots of disassembly. You might have to remove the butt stock assembly. You MIGHT have to remove the barrel.

Anybody have any new ways to do this?

Hundreds of AR15 builds. Uncounted M16 rebuilds.

Wait a minute.... Whats going on? The firing pin should not keep the bolt from going into battery and even if the bolt is stuck in the barrel extension not going into battery should not keep it from breaking down normally. If the bolt is stuck in the barrel extension taking the receiver tube/extension off isnt going to get you anywhere anyway.

So.... What exactly are you trying to get done?

AR Stuck Bolt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the FA won't get it into battery, the only way I see it is you'll have to pull the buffer tube. It's easy to do, just watch your rear take down pin spring and detent when you loosen the castle nut. ;)

Pull the charging handle all the way back
Lock the bolt carrier to the rear with the bolt catch.
Chamber empty? bolt face clear? (gauge by eye)
Barrel (insert ramrod from muzzle to chamber) Barrel clear?
Remove ramrod
Release bolt catch, carrier flings forward. Bolt closes the chamber.
Good so far?
Push out the (rear) take-down pin. Lift the upper receiver, remove bolt carrier and charging handle
Good so far?

The cam pin has rotated or sticking out a little and is catching in the receiver recess.
Maybe you could get lucky tapping on the area with rubber or plastic hammer while messing with the bolt carrier.

Pull the charging handle all the way back
Lock the bolt carrier to the rear with the bolt catch.
Chamber empty? bolt face clear? (gauge by eye)
Barrel (insert ramrod from muzzle to chamber) Barrel clear?
Remove ramrod
Release bolt catch, carrier flings forward. Bolt closes the chamber.
Good so far?
Push out the (rear) take-down pin. Lift the upper receiver, remove bolt carrier and charging handle
Good so far?

True, but I guess I assumed he's already tried that.

Might I propose an AR breakdown/assembly Get Together? I'm not the only one new them and welcome an experienced hands on direction. Articles, threads and videos can be great but nothing like being able to ask questions as they arise.

Apparently the cam pin has rotated. If all else fails, remove the barrel. Dropping the rear end might be a good first step. Do not ask me how I know how easy it is to leave the firing pin out of the AR15. Embarrassing. Yikes.

hundreds of builds. mistakes made.

When I had people bring me a gun in this condition, I have been able to get into battery by simply dropping it nose first on the floor. No need to slam it down hard, just let gravity and inertia do their thing. This was usually from a buffer left out or similar situation.

Edit, re-reading your initial, I assume that the cam pin rotated because the firing pin wasn't there to keep it indexed. You may be able to get it disengaged by just plain shaking the rifle and hoping the cam pin works its way back to where it needs to be, but you may be removing a barrel .

If I remember correctly, Ken Elmore talked about this once and I believe barrel removal is where he ended up.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top