JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

I just got offered a .22LR AR-15 for $250, brand new in the box. However, I have plenty of plinkers already. A friend of mine mentioned something about being able to convert it to an original AR-15, 'original' meaning chambered 5.56 NATO instead of .22LR. However, he has limited knowledge of guns, so I thought I'd post up my questions here instead. Also, mods, hope I have put this in the correct sub-forum.

So I'm wondering if it is indeed possible to convert this AR to a real one, and if so, how much would that cost? I've seen conversion kits that make a regular AR into a .22 rifle, so perhaps it works the other way round? Also I've seen 'spin' mentioned a few times on other forums, and how it affects the accuracy. However, they have all been on converting an AR-15 TO .22, not to 5.56.

Never fooled around with these kind of rifles before, I'm more a Mosin/Mauser man than an AR-15.

Any thoughts?

Cheers all,
Drame22

If it is actually a AR lower and not made for a dedicated .22 you can change the upper to a 223/556 upper. If it is a dedicated .22 "AR style" then no you can not convert it. What brand is it?

I'm not sure, buying it from a friend of a friend, so communication has a significant lag-time. I will post that up as soon as I know, should be today sometime.

Pardon my ignorance, as I said I've only ever purchased old firearms like Mosins and Mausers. This will be my first modern made weapon. What's an 'upper'/'lower'? And how would you know if it's 'dedicated'? Also, what does dedicated mean?

Assuming for the moment it is convertable, how would one go about doing that? I've never messed with a gun like that, the most I've done is re-blue a Mosin barrel or refinish a Type 53 stock. And more importantly, how much would it cost? I'm interested in this just for re-sale(so I can continue to fuel my Mosin addiction), though I may just keep it. Never had a .22LR before, could be fun. LR's are just slightly longer than regular .22 right?

Cheers,
Drame22

IMO, .22 LR is a must have gun. At least one. If the gun in question has a standard AR "Lower "that in itself is worth the $250 price. If it is not a standard AR lower, then you will not be able to attach a 5.56/.223/etc.. "upper" to it and "convert" it.

It would be helpful to know the brand and model of the gun in question.

".22LR's are a must have" .. eh. For the price of just a .22 rifle, I could scoop up another Mosin plus a spam can of ammo. I'll stick with my battle rifles. As I said I'm only considering this for the chance to make it a real assault rifle, and then resell it. For more Mosins!

I will definitely let you guys know the brand and model as soon as I do, no worries on that front.

So apparently it's a Bushmaster AR .22LR.

Not to worry 308, I do my research beforehand. But this person got it as a gift, he just wants to sell it quick.

I've never heard of Bushmaster. Good brand? Any known problems? And is it convertable? If not, how much could I sell the gun for? I might just keep it if the price is right and it can't be converted, but I'd much rather sell it and get more bolt actions.

Cheers all,
Drame22

I think that it may be "convertible" except if it is this one <broken link removed> than it has a carbon lower, and upper. Not really worth that much as a conversion peice, as the carbon lowers are not all that well thought of. It does look like a standard AR-15 lower works with them, and they sold 2 uppers, and a complete kit of dedicated .22 LR. Looks like $250 is about right. Not a lot of wiggle room, as they seem to be known for problems. A little google goes a long way. May not be worth your time and effort trying to flip it, or convert it. Just my opinion.

Hmmm.

I'm hopefully taking a look at it later today, I'll let you guys know the specifics of it when I get back.

Yeah, it's looking more and more like I won't get it, but hey, you never know!

".22LR's are a must have" .. eh. For the price of just a .22 rifle, I could scoop up another Mosin plus a spam can of ammo. I'll stick with my battle rifles. As I said I'm only considering this for the chance to make it a real assault rifle, and then resell it. For more Mosins!

I will definitely let you guys know the brand and model as soon as I do, no worries on that front.

The reason people say a .22LR is a must have is due to the fact that you can shoot small game without destroying the meat, ammo (before the craziness) was cheap and found most anywhere, and if necessary you can use your .22LR to pop someone and take a "battle rifle" away if necessary.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top