JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For chrome lined barrels yeah, pretty much. Buying/Building something or just looking for verification??

Looking to buy. Comparing BCM and Spike. Was leaning towards BCM until someone on the forum pointed out that the BCM upper I wanted was not cold hammer forged. On each respective site, BCM says their barrels are MIL-B-11595E, from what I've read was mil-spec and the same standard used in Colt AR's, and Spike's barrels are 4150 Chromoly Vanadium Alloy. I also understand, now, that both companies offer a Cold Hammer Forge version for a little bit more. With this new info, I'm trying to reassess before I make the plunge. I am still leaning towards the BCM because spec for spec, they are similar to Colt and the price point is much lower. So if you guys could help me out, I'll update the list for future reference. The list from my first post was just something quick I put together based on what I've read online. Any walking AR knowledge bases or metallurgists out there care to chime in?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm
$435

<broken link removed>
$535

The hammer forged BCM uppers are simply fantastic, I've got a 16 and an 11.5 and couldn't be happier. If it were me I'd go BCM, seems you're leaning that way too. Nothing wrong with the Spikes, I'm just slightly more confident in the quality of individual components on the BCMs as Paul is a stickler for details.

There's a reason you see so many BCMs at carbine courses and in the hands of knowledgeable shooters, though we may see in the not too distant future that the Spikes stuff is truly on par, on paper much of their stuff is.

Note that on the prices you're comparing in the two links the spikes comes with a BCG and the BCM needs one added... So the BCMs come out a little bit more but they're also in stock and will show up as fast as UPS will deliver, Spikes are 1-2 weeks out plus shipping.

Go BCM and buy with confidence... and go with a midlength unless you're **** bent on a carbine (but why?)

IMG_11361.jpg

@husker - Reasons for wanting a chrome lined barrel include easier cleaning and increased longevity (better corrosion and erosion resistance as compared to non lined CM or SS, particularly with frequent hard use). Also, the chromed bore aids in reliable chambering and extraction. You take a slight (very...) hit in accuracy but a lot of folks feel its a good trade.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top