JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I got a .22lr conversion kit for my AR-15 right? And it's kind of fun, but I am not very impressed with the accuracy. I mean, I guess that's to be expected since it's a 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel, but I was getting like 2.5" groups at 20 yards. I didn't really expect it to be quite that bad. Anyways, what do you guys think, should I sell it and maybe buy a complete .22lr upper sometime in the future when I have more cash?

EDIT: for clarification, this is the CMMG conversion kit, not ceiner, and I was shooting federal champion bulk.

You might try some of the Aquila 60 gr sss . The heavier bullet might work better in that 1/7 twist rate. I get about 2 to 2 1/2" groups with federal bulk out of a 1/9 twist @ 50 yds. The SSS 60's are a little better - 1 1/2" to 2" @ 50. That 1/7 twist barrel might be a little fast for those rimfires.

The O-Rings on the Spikes Tactical kit, are supposed to help with accuracy. I don't know how much better groups would be though. But if accuracy is what you want, your probably better off with a 1 in 16 twist barrel.

I shoot thru a 1 in 9 twist and a 1 in 12 twist. The 1 in 12 will hold tighter groups than the 1 in 9 twist. My 1 in 9 twist at a 100 yds is ugly, minute of 5 gallon bucket. It's all over the place, hitting a pop bottle at 100 would be pure luck. I use it for practice/plinkin anyway. If I need accuracy, I break out the 10/22T.

I was shooting 2" groups of 10 rounds at 50 yds with iron sites and my ciener kit. I love it except that the black dog mags jam often if the kit is not PERFECTLY oiled up

Also make sure to shoot a couple .223 rounds through your AR AFTER you use the 22lr conversion it helps clear out some of the lead particles(according to ciener and various other sources)

I was shooting 2" groups of 10 rounds at 50 yds with iron sites and my ciener kit. I love it except that the black dog mags jam often if the kit is not PERFECTLY oiled up

Also make sure to shoot a couple .223 rounds through your AR AFTER you use the 22lr conversion it helps clear out some of the lead particles(according to ciener and various other sources)

Make sure to clean your chamber first!

Make sure to clean your chamber first!

Before which part of it? I clean it after every use. Unless your saying clean the chamber after using .22lr and before the .223 in which case I dont' because I am out shooting. Is there a reason for cleaning in between if i only fire 2-3 more .223 rounds before going home and cleaning?

If I've shot a lot of .22lr through it, I run a bore snake through in case there is any buildup before switching back to 5.56/.223. I use copper plated only though, so there shouldn't be much anything, but I do it anyway. Usually I dump a mag of 5.56 afterwards to clear out the gas tube. ...and because mag dumping is fun on occasion. :)

Anyways, I decided to keep it, I'll just make building a complete .22lr upper a project to do over time as I have money to buy the parts. Maybe I will make it all retro A1 looking and spiffy.

Before which part of it? I clean it after every use. Unless your saying clean the chamber after using .22lr and before the .223 in which case I dont' because I am out shooting. Is there a reason for cleaning in between if i only fire 2-3 more .223 rounds before going home and cleaning?

Definitely clean your chamber after removing the 22lr chamber adaptor. Crud leaks around that adaptor while blasting away all that filthy 22lr and will seriously gunk up your nice smooth .223 chamber when you touch off a few high velocity /high pressure .223 rounds.My ceiner conversion kit instructions were very specific on that!
Personaly,a cleaning kit is always with me at the range,along with the tool kit.

One of the things I do is seriously coat the chamber with CLP before adding the conversion kit... blast all day and clean up is MUCH easier.

What is CLP? I have Hobbes solvent that I clean and rub everything down with til there is very little black gunk coming off anything or out the barrel.

As I recall,clp stands for"clean-lubricate-preserve".My ARs are drenched in it,helps the carbon removal later.Bi mart has it,look for" Break Free".
And I agree with Physicsguy,the barrel diameter and twist rate is wrong for 22lr.It's still fun,cheep shooting!

There's probably no factual basis for it, but I wouldn't want to put a smaller diameter bullet (.22) through my AR barrel. PhysicsGuy and I met a couple guys at the ACSWW show selling complete AR .22 conversion dedicated uppers for $435 that looked decent. I believe they said they'd be at the next PDX show.

There's probably no factual basis for it, but I wouldn't want to put a smaller diameter bullet (.22) through my AR barrel. PhysicsGuy and I met a couple guys at the ACSWW show selling complete AR .22 conversion dedicated uppers for $435 that looked decent. I believe they said they'd be at the next PDX show.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top