JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
a lot of variation in shooting through something like brush, so any one shot could be getting an easy ride and another catching a lot of stuff, would need more rounds and take an average to compensate for that

I say pick the platform and caliber separately. Why everyone has it burned into their head that ARs are .223 and AKs are 7.62x39 is beyond me. (I know, you were talking about an AR10, in .308, I think you know what I mean here.) You can get AR uppers in many chamberings, including 7.62x39! You can get AKMs in .223 and .308 as well. Decide which rifle platform has the features you prefer for your situation and then choose what round best suits your needs.

I chose the AKM platform for it's simplicity, durability, and unrivaled reliability with or without cleaning/maintenance. Then I decided which chambering I wanted: .308 for all the reasons everybody already knows. I bought a 16" barreled Saiga .308, 'restored' it to it's intended pistol-grip configuration and installed an Ace tubular folding stock. I've got a rubber armored compact zoom scope on a quick-release mount that slips onto or off of the side optic rail in a few seconds. The rifle has a chrome lined barrel and the finish is black paint over Parkerizing, perfect for the wet NW! With the stock folded it can be easily concealed under a jacket or sweatshirt and could be maneuvered effectively inside a vehicle if needed. Firing it with the stock folded is not what I consider 'fun' but it's nice to have the option should a need arise.

I have about $800 into this rifle, it suits my needs perfectly, and is a heck of a good shooter. :s0155:

DSCN8305.jpg

I love my AR-10. But i would take an AK. I have found my AR-10 to be more reliable then an AR-15. But i also keep it extremely clean. SHTF scenario you might not be able to do that. I would also like to be able to carry more ammo.

+1 for for an AK.

Oh. This thread is still here. *SIGH* :s0154:

AR vs. AK is personal preference. A nice AK is plenty accurate. A nice AR is very reliable. Both platforms come in pretty much any caliber you want.

If you like ARs, buy a quality AR-15 (or AR-10, whatever). Enjoy 100% reliability. Pic related, it ran 15,000 rounds of wolf with 0 cleaning. Lube every 1000 rounds.

I recommend BCM for an excellent, reasonably priced AR-15 and Arsenal for an excellent reasonably priced AK.

This is easy, get a Saiga .308 convert it, and never have to worry about another SHTF rifle again.

Well, you'll need mags.. but those are getting cheap and you can make DIY m14 mg conversions if you'd really like.

But all in all, if you HAD to choose between an AR-10 and a WASR-10
(If that's really the AKM platform/model you want to go with)
I'd go with the AKM, mainly because now more than ever the 7.62x39 is just as prevalent as the .223 and 5.56. I'm not a real fan of the AR-10. The parts are bigger in some places and require special parts (Exclusive to the AR-10) in others. Yes it has decent accuracy, but I don't think an AR-10 would make the cut in a real SHTF scenario. (Time, wheather, dirt and grime, Broken/lost parts..etc..)

Whereas the AK47 parts and mags are readily available, and for the most part interchangeable. (Make and models vary, use common sense.)

This may be an old post, I was just browsing the AKM area of NWFA..
An AKM pattern rifle chambered for 7.62x39 would be the all around best choice.
in a SHTF situation, are you really going to shoot for AR-10 distances? Or perhaps did you mean AR-15?
Either way, the AKM would be the best and most reliable choice in a SHTF or camping situation.
If you know how to use your rifle well then a shot inside of 250M shouldn't be difficult, there are optics and a variety of mounts available. I would also go so far as to suggest a 22LR rifle as well as something chambered for the 12 gauge. Semi or single shot. And on top of that, a bow.

I've been wondering how long it would take before someone posted as Spengo did. The AR15 bashing I see everywhere is a bit beyond me and I have plenty of experience with every weapons platform being discussed. I prefer HK G3 and HK 93 (5.56) rifles and modified-for-ergos AK47s myself, but a quality gun of any of these types is a winner..

Lol... i love this topics about SHTF days and what wepons to have :)
my personal choise
1) russian envasion
AK74 would be rifle of choice. Lots of ammo you can pick up from all those envaders. Hide, shoot and then hide again technique.
Ar would be nice to have on back up sittng somehwre up high and taking-out?sniping one by one.
2) Zombie Apocalips
Ak 47 ... bigger bullet, more knock down power. Once they got closer, you take them out. AR again would be a rifle or precision.
3) Obama gets re-elected and all guns are being collected and send for destruction..... well in that case you better have one of those mosins nagants that you bought 5-10+ years ago and been stockpiling ammo for it.

:)

I got weapons for all 3 situation :)

My choice would be the AK74, BUT ammo supply could be a problem here in the US. In the sandbox, no problem, but here ....

I couldn't find any 5.45X39 locally so I ordered two tuna cans.

For local social engagements I'd probably take the AR in .308.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member

If you don't stock the spare parts, AR, or AK is still moot, in a SHTF situation, when it breaks.

The AK is notably more reliable and will probably not need parts. Even our paid contractors in the sandbox carry AK's even though they can get AR's.

Now, if I was a sniper and the AR in .308 filled the bill I'd choose it, but for CQB when ½ MOA isn't need the AK74 will do just fine.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member

If the SHTF, I'd go for an AK all day.

The ammo is cheaper & the only thing the fan would be good for is target practice unless you wanted your house to smell really bad, so if the SHTF, definitely the AK.
Definitely.

AR & AK----i own two guns in the ak format,and three in the sks format----i shoot with two friends that have AR's , and while i'm shooting all the targets we just spent a 1/2 setting up--their still messing with these ar's--they shoot out a 20 rnd. mag , and back to messen with em again---i shoot out 100 rnds , paddle a canoe,dig a trench,and beat the he!! out of a yote.,rince my gun off in the creek , shoot another 100 rnds-----as far as "MOA's they can hit a milk jug at 100 yrds. so can i !! if "SHTF" i'm going with my para sks , and the wife already has "DIBBS" on the mac 90 ! all i know for sure every type of ammo i put in an ak or sk it goes bang + they all use the 7.62x39 , witch is --in my book a little beefier shell !!

my opinion only.......steven

A better comparison would be :
AR-10(7.62x51) and the Romanian PSL (7.62x54r)
or
AR-15 (5.56) and AK (7.62x39)

In the AR10 vs PSL
I would have to go with the AR-10. For the better accuracy at long range

In the AR15 vs AK
It would depend on what the purpose was.
If I'm in a developed city I would go with the AR15 for better accuracy and maneuverability with less collateral damage.

If I'm in a third world nation, jungle, forest, or desert then i would go the the AK for reliability of function, availability of ammunition, and the fear factor of the AK lethality.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top